Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 32951 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 76
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 05:09:38 pm »

@That Anon Saying It's Very Borderlands - I just got to play Borderlands 2 this weekend (it was free on Steam) and I was immediately struck by how instantly obvious it became how much Bethesda wanted F4 to be like Borderlands 2. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they took it further in that direction.
Love, scriver~

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 05:22:52 pm »

Fortnite started as and is a zombie basebuilder. They just released a different game attached to the same client - Fortnite Battle Royale - to cash in on the trend.

Anyways. "Fallout 72 is an online survival RPG" similar to Rust and DayZ according to that linked article. Said article is claiming to cite numerous anonymous sources, and the author has been pretty accurate and trustworthy so far.
Looks interesting, and I personally would be up for that kind of game assuming it isn't done poorly -- like most online survival RPGs; but I'll still wait for actual official information to be sure.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 07:05:54 pm »

Eh, doesn't really do much for me personally. All the survival games I've bought I've either played solo or on a closed server with friends. The whole "build some shit so some rando can come wreck it while you sleep" has never appealed to me honestly. I got my fill of that in Hazordhu II and was like "wow, never again."

That and I'm picturing Bethesda's variety of gameplay in a MP setting and it just doesn't fill me with excitement. Half of Bethesda's mechanics are excusable in their shittiness because a) it's single player b) you can mod it and c) it doesn't really matter anyways.

So I guess I'd be morbidly curious to see how Bethesda adapts their style to a well-known and at this point well-trodden genre....that they've already tried before and have been found severely wanting.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 07:16:43 pm »

It’s not really Bethesda. It’s a new branch, that was formerly BattleCry studios.

Though again, I’ll see. If it’s just “Rust/Conan/Ark/DayZ but with WACKY Fallout aesthetics!!!l” then it’s a no. I just hope that a AAA studio can get this kind of game done right.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 07:23:31 pm »

Ah right. Just like ESO isn't them. Well, I'll be interested to see how it plays out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 11:09:09 pm »

Sounds sick to me. Raider lyf here I come!
Build disposable bases, hide any actual valuables beneath/inside dismembered corpses, gore and rubble... should be sweet!   

I usually get pissed off and stop playing their actual FO RPGs before finishing them, anyway. "Fuck you mean, I can't kill this annoying-as-shit NPC that keeps getting up in my grill? Fuck off, game. I'mma go play Bladestorm instead." -Me, probably.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 11:55:45 pm »

Not particularly optimistic or interested, but hell it's something to watch at least.
We haven't really heard anything official at all other than "there's this game called Fallout 76", so I personally think it's far too early to be disgusted that they're making a multiplayer online buildything batroy or whatever.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 01:07:32 am »

Rust simulator sounds bad to me and I hope it's nothing like that. Those survival games 99% of the time just become griefing simulators and never seem to be taken seriously.

I do like the description of a game based around the base building if it were a city builder RPG mix thing. We shall see.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 01:35:53 am »

A picture posted on the Fallout reddit shows a developer very overtly reassuring someone who was explicitly worried about it being “Fallout: Rust Edition”, so there’s something to think about I suppose.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 07:31:57 am »

A picture posted on the Fallout reddit shows a developer very overtly reassuring someone who was explicitly worried about it being “Fallout: Rust Edition”, so there’s something to think about I suppose.

i don't know, i read that as a pretty empty statement. "wait until you know more" means nothing and is typically what you say when the person who's disappointed is 100% correct and you have nothing to say in response. it's basically, "well yeah, it's fallout: rust, but wait and see - maybe you'll actually like it!"

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 07:51:29 am »

Honestly, I've not been super enthusiastic about the direction of Fallout 3/4. They basically felt like Elder Scrolls set in a garbage dump. So I welcome change, and only hope they can find a gameplay direction that better compliments the setting.

But I do hope that whatever they do, there will still be nude mods.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 08:44:35 am »

A lot of my hype right now is hinging on how much Chris Avellone was involved.  We know he made that tweet last year about it being good to be home in relation to Fallout.  So yeah I could see them doing a decent survival game with the one thing they lack right now, writing and a focus for players besides offline raiding.  I could get into that.

Now if it's another Battle Royal game with that silly as balls rocket mechanic, I won't touch it with your 10 foot pole with Chris Avellone pushing TBH

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 07:22:21 pm »

Jason Schreier, the guy who originally leaked Fallout 4 and so far the biggest source of at least semi-trustworthy leaked info regarding 76, made a post on the /r/Fallout subreddit talking about what he knows.

He backpeddles a bit on his statement earlier where he said that anyone expecting a traditional singleplayer RPG would be "very disappointed", states "The buzz I'm hearing (both first- and second-hand) is that it's really cool, interesting, and just as story-focused as any other Bethesda Game Studios game. It might have multiplayer and base-building …", and sums it up by calling 76 a "multiplayer RPG".

I personally am really curious what it is, exactly. Why would Bethesda do this to uussss? Why can't you just make the basic info come out the same day as the teaser trailer like a sane company?

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 03:52:04 am »

I wrote out several replies to this topic, but after reading them back, they all just seemed nasty or bitter. It then occurred to me that my relationship with Bethesda games is like an abusive relationship. I expect them to be entirely for me, and then I will mod the fuck out of them until they are unrecognisable if they don't satisfy my needs.

Whilst I have no entitlement to demand that FO and ES games should be a completely single player experience, that is how I prefer them. If the multiplayer aspect is as unintrusive as Borderlands or Divinity 2 then everything will be peachy. If the gameplay is carried by player interaction, that's when my disappointment will kick in.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 07:23:43 am »

Being set 25 years after the bombs instead of 200+ is very interesting, however, as the world won't be nearly as decayed and ruined as it normally is, supplies will be in more abundance, and I imagine radiation will be much more prevalent
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18