Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 30979 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 76
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2018, 12:24:22 pm »

Todd said you're only going to have a dozen or two players with you at once, so no, it's definitely not an MMO, but beyond that I don't think we know how it's going to work.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2018, 01:16:35 pm »

I'm almost more worried by this than if it was just an MMO or battle royale thing.

They're trying desperately to blur the line between multiplayer and single player so that everything becomes multiplayer. There are some bonuses - I'd have loved to have explored Skyrim with a friend or two, but they're not going to just add that sort of multiplayer in - it'll be enforced online with skins and loot boxes and all the rest of the monetisation rubbish. It also means no mods, and worse than anything, tons of grinding to keep people playing (and buying lootboxes). I can't imagine that they'll want to step back to just single player after that - if they can make it work to the point it's a success then they'll just go with that as it'll make more money.

A few dozen players also sounds a bit odd - I can only imagine that it'll turn into roving gank squads rather than anything else. The only possibility is if they make it possible to have non-PVP servers, or dedicated ones. I can't imagine they will as they'll have a 'vision' but it's possibility.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2018, 01:25:36 pm »

I'm most concerned about the nuke sites. Assuming they're any kind of realistic, having a bunch of sites that, when captured, give you a "lol nope you don't live there anymore" button would suck.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2018, 01:27:29 pm »

I'm almost more worried by this than if it was just an MMO or battle royale thing.

They're trying desperately to blur the line between multiplayer and single player so that everything becomes multiplayer. There are some bonuses - I'd have loved to have explored Skyrim with a friend or two, but they're not going to just add that sort of multiplayer in - it'll be enforced online with skins and loot boxes and all the rest of the monetisation rubbish. It also means no mods, and worse than anything, tons of grinding to keep people playing (and buying lootboxes). I can't imagine that they'll want to step back to just single player after that - if they can make it work to the point it's a success then they'll just go with that as it'll make more money.

A few dozen players also sounds a bit odd - I can only imagine that it'll turn into roving gank squads rather than anything else. The only possibility is if they make it possible to have non-PVP servers, or dedicated ones. I can't imagine they will as they'll have a 'vision' but it's possibility.

On the other hand, I don't usually like multiplayer games much but a "singleplayer game that just so happens to be multiplayer" like dark souls, absolver, even watch dogs, is a really fun thing.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2018, 03:47:12 pm »

On the other hand, I don't usually like multiplayer games much but a "singleplayer game that just so happens to be multiplayer" like dark souls, absolver, even watch dogs, is a really fun thing.

Completely agree - there's definitely a way of doing this right, but that doesn't look to be the direction they're headed in from what we've seen so far. I would love to have Skyrim that I could play easily with a friend or two - that'd be great. I don't want to have to play Skyrim with a load of racist grief-lords.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2018, 03:52:19 pm »

SKYRIM BELONGS NO THE NORFS
Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2018, 03:56:12 pm »

THE NORFS

Ah yes, the noble Norfs--sometimes erroneously referred to as the Northern Dorfs.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2018, 02:40:29 am »

There is more info in noclip youtube video: here

Namely monetization: DLC will be free, there will be microtransactions for cosmetics.
I'm more worried that there will be no mods as it seems it's ONLINE ONLY. And they are running dedicated servers :<

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2018, 05:13:40 am »

There is more info in noclip youtube video: here

Namely monetization: DLC will be free, there will be microtransactions for cosmetics.
I'm more worried that there will be no mods as it seems it's ONLINE ONLY. And they are running dedicated servers :<
Their mods will probably go through their Mod monetization program.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2018, 06:13:16 am »

Wonder if there'll be an alternate game mode where a hundred vault dwellers get released onto random locations on the map, only to have a massive radiation storm slowly shrink the survivable area of map space down until there's only one left?

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2018, 06:27:35 am »

Wonder if there'll be an alternate game mode where a hundred vault dwellers get released onto random locations on the map, only to have a massive radiation storm slowly shrink the survivable area of map space down until there's only one left?

oh, you! :P
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2018, 06:31:16 am »

Todd Howard has confirmed, keeping in mind that he sometimes talks straight out of his backside, that there will be mods (though not at launch) and private servers (no word on if at launch or not).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2018, 06:44:06 am »

Todd Howard has confirmed, keeping in mind that he sometimes talks straight out of his backside, that there will be mods (though not at launch) and private servers (no word on if at launch or not).

Oh cool. I've found this too: some more mod info
Tl;dr: MODS not creation club things. Sounds great.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2018, 10:07:01 am »

#skeptical

No NPCs is really what makes me wary.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2018, 10:29:07 am »

Shamelessly stolen from someone I don't know.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18