Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 30974 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 76
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2018, 05:02:15 pm »

Pretty weird Fallout overall (even for the devs) but will still play it and definitely have fun with it.
The 'No NPCs' thing, I'm curious to see what they will do with that. There will still have "The Scorched" , Ghouls that "are not far gone" (into Ferals), so I really wonder if "No NPCs" is completely real.
Wonder how a story in such franchise will be told if it only has mutated feral things roaming around, what even that story would be about.

About griefing, Bethesda will definitely not be happy with heavy disruption of experiences. Limiting servers to about 24 players is a sign they want stuff to be meaningful rather than purely chaotic. People that compared it heavily to Rust sound very stupid to me.
I doubt I'll enjoy it more than I enjoyed Fallout 4 or Fallout 3 (for some reason I'm one of those that had a more epic time in FO3 even though I throughly enjoyed the legendary NV), but I am still very much looking forward to playing it and will get in the Beta if I can.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:06:38 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2018, 05:17:49 pm »

About griefing, Bethesda will definitely not be happy with heavy disruption of experiences. Limiting servers to about 24 players is a sign they want stuff to be meaningful rather than purely chaotic. People that compared it heavily to Rust sound very stupid to me.

If there's any PvP and you're randomly thrown together with people you don't know, it is an absolute rule - not a theory, a goddamn law, that it'll turn into a gank fest within about 6 minutes.

I imagine they'll let you play with your friends as well, so it'll let people just gang up on others and take all their stuff/grief them.

You say they wouldn't be happy with disruption of experiences, but pretty much the whole trailer was PvP. Unless they do restricted PvE/PvP zones (which I can't really imagine working) then regardless of their intentions, it'll just turn into people running around gankin'
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2018, 06:02:45 pm »

It seems pretty much against the lore as well, as most survivors did not come out of the vaults. Especially in sparsely populated areas like West Virginia. Why would you even drop nukes there, unless it is on military bases or research labs?

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2018, 08:58:15 pm »

If there's any PvP and you're randomly thrown together with people you don't know, it is an absolute rule - not a theory, a goddamn law, that it'll turn into a gank fest within about 6 minutes.

I imagine they'll let you play with your friends as well, so it'll let people just gang up on others and take all their stuff/grief them.

You say they wouldn't be happy with disruption of experiences, but pretty much the whole trailer was PvP. Unless they do restricted PvE/PvP zones (which I can't really imagine working) then regardless of their intentions, it'll just turn into people running around gankin'

If you watch the Pete Hines interview Gamespot did this is addressed.  Pretty much the gist of it is anything more than the first initial fight with a person will be optional, and maybe even that first fight will be as well.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2018, 10:44:09 pm »

not a theory, a goddamn law, that it'll turn into a gank fest within about 6 minutes.

You'd think developers and designers with 25 years of experience would realize many "laws" of the internet and videogames. This isn't Ubisoft, EA or some rando, let the guys have their take in a shared world game before we write reviews on something that cannot even be previewed yet.

It seems pretty much against the lore as well, as most survivors did not come out of the vaults. Especially in sparsely populated areas like West Virginia. Why would you even drop nukes there, unless it is on military bases or research labs?
You mean pre-war dropping nukes or players dropping nukes? Because the excuse is that West Virginia wasn't nuked directly and all that.
And the player nuking is pretty weird addition to me. But I can so easily feel, as this is a prequel, that lore-wise they could just say the people of Vault 76 got eaten by the much tougher mutated fauna and flora, and the rest of those people who were friends one day, fought in a civil war for the future of mankind, and ended up nuking each other just like what happened before...I would facepalm but that's one excuse I see.
That way it explains a bit why there are no huge tales about Virginia in previous games (are there?), and they could still say some "legendary survivors" made it out of there, just so they can hint it was you and your friends or whatever.
(Again, this is all my take on how I see they could get away with all this weirdness lore wise, but I'm not a lore expert)

All in all, Fallout 76 is a clear experiment, just like Vault-Tec's, coming from Bethesda. Just hear the mysterious ways they talk about their future games and you'll see they'll be testing a ton of stuff in multiple ways with 76 so they can have it in future games in scaled up form.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2018, 10:51:24 pm »

Funny that the "control group" vault is the one that's the focus of Bethesda's grand experiment.

You'd think developers and designers with 25 years of experience would realize many "laws" of the internet and videogames.
Were any of those 25 years spent actually working on multiplayer games?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2018, 11:01:03 pm »

You'd think developers and designers with 25 years of experience would realize many "laws" of the internet and videogames.
Were any of those 25 years spent actually working on multiplayer games?

If you can build cars, can you still have a pleasant talk with someone that builds motorcycles and maybe change careers?  :P
The most valuable lesson experience teaches is knowing weaknesses and limitations. They look for support and know-how to fill their obvious gaps. That's what I was hinting at, not that they can transition from GOTY singleplayer games to GOTY multiplayer games with the same philosophies and processes.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2018, 02:54:00 pm »

You'd think developers and designers with 25 years of experience would realize many "laws" of the internet and videogames. This isn't Ubisoft, EA or some rando, let the guys have their take in a shared world game before we write reviews on something that cannot even be previewed yet.

I'm 100% sure they realise and understand it, and that's why I think they've built pretty much a battle royal/standard multiplayer game. Probably when there was such a backlash online against it, they rewrote their E3 speech a bit to steer away from that.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but other than partitioned zones or PvE only servers I just can't see a way of it not just being the same as any other PvP game
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2018, 07:41:38 pm »

even with PvE servers, the lack of NPCs will be just as boring as going through any other survival game. In all honesty I dunno why the hell they did not goto the ESO route, even if it would have turn into a Destiny clone, at least there's something else to do other than build my giant penis tower and hope no one shoves a nuke down its urethra.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2018, 09:53:34 pm »

Wonder if there'll be an alternate game mode where a hundred vault dwellers get released onto random locations on the map, only to have a massive radiation storm slowly shrink the survivable area of map space down until there's only one left?
Keep your voice down! Bethesda would probably love this idea...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2018, 04:49:46 pm »

I'm actually not really against this idea. I'm not gonna preorder it, but I'm optimistic.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2018, 03:19:59 pm »

Same here.  Not to harp on Fallout 4, but I consider it its own mediocre thing and setting, and I'm disinterested in them making more in that vein.

This is a totally different thing.  I really don't care what they do lore-wise anymore, and the mechanics *might* be a lot of fun.  I'm cautiously optimistic (but haha no not preordering).
(PTW)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2018, 06:14:18 am »

This looks hilariously bad when compared to Fallout 1 and 2. We'll see how the new features and MP oriented gameplay pan out, but I'm not optimistic.

The new Elder Scrolls on the other hand... :)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2018, 06:42:21 am »

This looks hilariously bad when compared to Fallout 1 and 2. We'll see how the new features and MP oriented gameplay pan out, but I'm not optimistic.

The new Elder Scrolls on the other hand... :)
A-yep, them there sure are some purdy mountains, yessir.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18