Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69]

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 3  (Read 66642 times)

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
Re: Future of the Fortress 3
« Reply #1020 on: May 31, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Yeah, the Army Arc I'm doing now is not geared toward donations or expanding the fanbase.  None of the extra features, even visible ones, would really help there, since the game is very inaccessible and I don't retain very many people over lack of graphics, keyboard-only input and lack of help.</STRONG>

To totally bypass the entire argument of graphics, the Presentation Arc, and what you should focus on next, might I suggest adding a simple "New to Dwarf Fortress?" link to the homepage? A simple page that links people to some of the Getting Started sections of the DF wiki, and the Gameplay Questions board in the forum, should greatly help new players get the hang of the game and help retain some of the first-time visitors from
high-profile links like MSNBC.

Derp.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 31, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

It seems that for the nations civilizations, that they are constantly at war.  Once parts of the caravan "arc" are put in the game, is there plans for there to be a limit on how much war a civilization could "afford," so that they would be less aggressive?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 31, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

Well, diplomacy is quite basic for the moment.
They just needed reasons to go at war with one civ more than with the others.
The Caravan Arc will add economic background and ressource tracking if I remember.

So in a few years it's likely we'll see civs getting allied because one can produce wheat and the other can produce weapons, fight against an enemy who worships a megabeast who's slaughtering the northern border of the wheat-producing civ.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: June 01, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>Lets put it this way... If a Wolf with ordinary wolf powers harassed your villagers... Would you worship it?</STRONG>

Ever played Okami? :3

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 01, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

quote:
Ever played Okami?

You mean Okami the game where you play a wolf with supernatural powers who turns out to be the mother goddess?

The One NO ONE worships in wolf form?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1025 on: June 01, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

Sorry, forgot to mention: this thread is closed. See FotF 4:

Future of the Fortress 4

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 01, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

Why, again, is this closed? Why couldn't Toady make a new topic?

Nothing is wrong with this one.

Sindai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 01, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »

When threads get old they start to rust.

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Sindai ]

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 01, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »

I never posted much in here anyway but I think I'll do it now just because I can.  :p

Oh yeah guys and I decided I'll be closing the 4th thread and starting a new one, sorry I forgot to mention it.

(here's hoping PTTG is not actually a mod now or I'll feel dumb...)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 02, 2008, 12:10:00 am »

He's not. And until Toady starts another Future of the Fortress or endorses the new thread, I'll just stay out of the whole thing.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 02, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>

You mean Okami the game where you play a wolf with supernatural powers who turns out to be the mother goddess?

The One NO ONE worships in wolf form?</STRONG>

Yes...

I was thinking more along the lines of the legend from 100 years before, where everybody was terrified of Shiranui because THAT incarnation always used to hang around the village just when Orochi was demanding another sacrifice.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 02, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

I wonder, Toady, are you really calling it quits on Megabeasts? Anything you just HAVE to add, despite their week being over?

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 02, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aqizzar:
<STRONG>-The [SLOW_LEARNER] tag... What is it?  I assume it alters the actions of megabeasts to make them more mindlessly belligerent in worldgen, but I'm already picturing a civ-race with the tag and the implications are amusing at least.</STRONG>

I assume it just lowers the rate of skill gains. It sounds like a way to keep megabeasts from becoming too absurdly badass too quickly, since they will be repeatedly getting into combat.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1033 on: June 03, 2008, 03:22:00 am »

The new thread really should have been discussed here first, since PTTG??'s sudden new unauthorized thread just made for some confusion.  That said, we might as well lock this now to avoid further trauma.  The new thread is here.

Stage 8 is finished aside from the bug cap, yeah, meaning that I've worked on Megabeasts for a week and there's a ton left to do but I'm not going to do it now.  There's more I'd like to do, but the point of Megabeast Week was to restrict myself to a week.  Stage 9 is going to be more like fixing up some refugee issues; I'm going to skip any other nomad/migrant stuff for now.  Stage 4 still has a lot of leftovers, and there are various other things I have to look at.

Regarding gruesome sculptures etc., everything in this release is world gen handwaving unless something sneaks through by virtue of already being implemented (like now having a snatcher show up that isn't a goblin because it already knew how to pick snatchers from their civs rather than generating them).  So there won't be sculptures lying around.  Or anything.  Release 2 is meant to address some of this.

Slow learner makes them learn skills at half-speed.  Since giants can learn skills and they now start in the largest groups, I wanted to stop them from becoming dominant.

Kobolds claim territory, or whatever the territorial maps denote.

Adding an option to make all legends visible is on to-do for Stage 10.  It isn't really in the overall spirit of the game, but since we don't have books or many other ways to expose legends, having them visible will allow people to see what I've been working on.

Yeah, the front page can probably use a redesign.  And the screenshots are still more than a year old.

They already hold themselves back from starting wars a bit, but they are also still somewhat psycho.  As more diplomacy and trade goes in, yeah, this will change.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69]