Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 69

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 3  (Read 66634 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 3
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 05:32:00 am »

Toady, you are the most dedicated person I know, and whiteout this game I don't know were I would have been, it is my life and the one thing I believe in, I would give my life for you should you want me to (not that you do...), I am your greatest fan, amen.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 06:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ShunterAlhena:
<STRONG>I faintly know that the new version is promised to be save-compatible with the new one. Will we get religions and the new stuff somehow tied in, or do I must generate a new world with the new religion-enabled DF?</STRONG>
I vaguely recall him saying it was the latter case, but cannot remember where...

Edit: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001543

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2008, 09:35:00 am »

quote:
whithout this game I don't know were I would have been, it is my life and the one thing I believe in...

Funny, I was just saying the same thing the other day to my friends...  :D

Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

Just another idle question, but during the Bustling Town arc, do you plan on making the cities bigger and more structured? They all seem kind of small and underpopulated at the moment. It would be really amazing to explore gigantic sprawling cities! It might even be fun to have a character that adventures only in cities ^^

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

ITT Armok is being seriously creepy.
<3

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »

Yeah, I hope he doesn't scare Toady.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mayday:
<STRONG>ITT Armok is being seriously creepy.</STRONG>

???
1. I am seriusly dedicated, nothing creepy about that.
2. I am a blood god...

quote:
Just another idle question, but during the Bustling Town arc, do you plan on making the cities bigger and more structured? They all seem kind of small and underpopulated at the moment. It would be really amazing to explore gigantic sprawling cities! It might even be fun to have a character that adventures only in cities ^^

SECONDED!
I think there is a Threetoe story about that.

Talking about TT stories:
Toady, are there any fan stories you take inspiration from in a manner similar to the TT stories? It would be fun if you sometime made an analysis of one.
Do you even read the forum that close? Some of the stories are REALLY great even not considering DF and you really should read them, especially A Kobolds Quest.
For analysis and inspiration I think however that The Stonemane Chronicles are the best choice as AKQ contain quite a lot SF stuff.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »

Playing in humongous cities would be awesome but the current code would need a serious performance boost. Right now loading towns with too much stuff lying around takes ages and the game slows to a crawl within the most populated towns (twenty folks or something).

Maybe some sort of middle stage abstraction (partially abstracting stuff and people that cannot be seen but are on the same area) would help.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:<STRONG>
???
1. I am seriusly dedicated, nothing creepy about that.</STRONG>

I don't think you understand what "creepy" means. It's not something you can notice yourself because everyone has reasons with which he justifies his behaviour. Creepiness is about how others perceive it.
quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>2. I am a blood god...
</STRONG>

Yes, I know, it says so right there in your sig. No need to repeat it.
<3

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »

Regarding Armok, I think he's an unique patch of this forum. Something shines through Dwarf Fortress, something makes it special and truly awe-inspiring despite its rough form. Maybe the true passion of the Adams brothers. There is nothing wrong with being dedicated to a game and roleplaying that you're a blood god - it's no worse than being dedicated to a music band and roleplaying that you're a hardass punk. At least DF has no marijuana involved. I haven't been around too long, but I've noticed this is a peculiarly intelligent community - and Armok in real life must also be a bright young man, at least that's how I imagine him to be.

Re On Topic, the point I truly yearn is the ability to build up the fortress, then have some real say about events around you. Diplomacy, like in Civilization, the ability to influence and threaten neighboring kings and warlords - only your city is not an abstraction on a map, it is the very place you carved out of the mountain with your own hands! The Army Arc should really further this goal so I am very happy with it - and the fact that religions now enter the picture make it simply outstanding!

fox has become enraged!

Combatjuan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.isoftdata.com
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

Toady, you are really going to town on this game.  By the way, I loved the podcast you posted last week.  Fascinating stuff.  My question is: is the Mac port also effectively a Linux port?  I'm quite happy running DF under WINE--it actually runs quite fast, but there would be a certain newfound pride in DF to run it "natively".  Thanks for your hard work.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Combatjuan:
<STRONG> My question is: is the Mac port also effectively a Linux port?  I'm quite happy running DF under WINE--it actually runs quite fast, but there would be a certain newfound pride in DF to run it "natively".  Thanks for your hard work.</STRONG>

The Mac port is strictly Mac OS X, 10.3+ Universal. It will not compile for Linux. This is a port that uses the Mac window manager, events, etc. It is not XWindows, nor SDL, nor glut, etc.

EDIT: Hmm... I should consider trying KQ as a glut port... might make for simpler code that what I've provided.

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: mattmoss ]

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: mattmoss ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »

This release is mostly about world-gen, and I can't really fake that in old games without a lot of work.  Old games will get the bug fixes, but you'll need a regen if you want to do a lot of the new stuff.

I'm not really in a position to increase the populations of the cities very much, but there will be some more structure when it's time to add it.  They can't ever be enormous though, because I can't support enough historical figures to back that up.  I wanted to stay away from abstracting people as much as possible because it conflicts with all of the things I've been working on.

I do have somebody's linux code here, and I downloaded another copy today after bumping into him on an unrelated matter, but I haven't tried it out yet.  I don't have a timeline on this one, and it's not quite as plug-and-play as the mac source.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 05:10:00 am »

Speaking of children--

I think one thing that could really add a lot to the game is inheritance of magical abilities (when magic comes around) and equipment from your ancestors.

If anyone's played Monster Rancher, they know that it's almost impossible to get a champion monster off of your first effort. What you do is get a pretty good monster, then retire him and breed him with another pretty good monster and you've got a kid who starts in a better position, allowing him to advance further and further etc.

So if Grandpa Olaf traded his left eye to a demon for the ability to read demonic text, he could pass that ability on to his two-eyed son who could recover some ancient tomes of magic from a goblin fortress, who could translate them and pass those onto HIS kid, who would have access to the powerful demonic magic right out of the gate--allowing them to accomplish feats in their lifetime that their ancestors never could.

Obviously that's probably too specific an example to match up with what you're thinking of, Toady, but is that the general line of thinking you've got in place for the gameplay aspect of families?

Also, when will we be able to use DF skills (like fishing or farming) in single player mode? I want Harvest Moon: Dwarf Fortress   :p

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 05:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Koji:
<STRONG>and equipment from your ancestors.</STRONG>
Artifacts passed down through the generations?
My dwarves are not your dwarves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 69