Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 69

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 3  (Read 67006 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 3
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

I think get married, having children is part of the Life Arc...Toady said something of it had to be put now, but I don't think he will finish this arc now. It would be awesome though. It's sad to find a chasm after some years of play and discover that all chasm dwellers died of old age.  :)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nite/m4re:
<STRONG>

That would be awesome. And when you retire, after some years your adventures is married, got children, is now a royal guard, etc... And then maybe you could play as these children?</STRONG>

Exactly that, almost down to the phrasing, is one of the major goals in several arcs and marked as a milestone on the way to V1.0
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

I don't think auto-running forts will be in for a while.   But we might be surprised.   The way cities and such are becoming abstracted (with populations and such) means that player-run forts might be abdicated and run by the computer within a few months.   That might just be wishful thinking though.

Either way, having the basics of religion and warfare means things will become much more solid soon.   They will already help to differentiate civilizations quite a bit.  Soon different 'tech levels' (stone age vs. iron age, for example) will be in, I'm certain.  

And from these differences will spring much more vibrant worlds.   Mark my words; things are gonna get really awesome really fast.   We're almost approaching the speed of light.

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »

It seems doubtful that auto-running forts will make it in any time soon. It would just make much more sense to add that feature when cities start having real economies, rather than building a special system just for player-created forts. The Version 1 goals are focused around allowing the player to build a functioning capital, so multiple player-created fortresses might have to wait until that's finished.

Don't get me wrong, that's one of the features I'm looking forward to most. Maybe economies will get an overhaul when caravans are improved. Still, I wouldn't hold my breath.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I don't have a timeline.  But it's not like before when that meant nine months.  I'm almost down to bugs + Mac now, so maybe a week or two.</STRONG>

Great news!  Thanks!

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 06:06:00 am »

so soon, we'll have the dwarf fortress: Crusader update? awesome  :D
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 06:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by frostedfire:
<STRONG>so soon, we'll have the dwarf fortress: Crusader update? awesome   :D</STRONG>

Would that be Dwarf Stronghold then?  :p
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 06:39:00 am »

World Generation and religions look exquisite and I admire the speed with which Toady works! How much hours does he (you) put into it daily?
fox has become enraged!

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

Alot.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »

There's not much to joining religious groups at this point.  Anything meaningful to come out of it will have to wait.  But you can do it.

I don't have a timeframe on roads, but they'd certainly fit in with armies.  We'd like to have outlying farms, and we were talking recently about how to improve the site structure will sprawl and outlying locations, but that might have to wait for the Caravan Arc, when sites starts tracking resources.

Fortress retiring isn't going to come in with armies.  It's not scheduled anyway.

Adventurers won't be tied into the world until the Scenario Arc.  At that point, it'll try to weave you into the world if you so choose.  The Relationships Arc is for creating families yourself.

As for hours, I still do forums (like I'm doing now) and email on the weekends, and that can take an hour or two depending on how many threads/emails there are to read and respond to.  I also do that during the weekdays...  there's also cooking and shopping and errands and all that...  the rest of the time is spent on the game on weekdays.  Last week I managed 10-12 hours most days (sort of a 6/7PM to 5/6AM schedule), though it can vary wildly if I have something going on (like the interviews that popped up, which sort of suck time up all around them).  On weekends, time is spent on a combination of lazing about and working on other games.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>
Would that be Dwarf Stronghold then?   :p</STRONG>

Remember to wall off as fast as possible to stop The Caliph from raping you at the start with slaves.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 12:18:00 am »

Other games, Toady?

...Star Team DX?   :p

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

Xcom: Dwarf Fortress?

What were we talking about again?

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: Tamren ]

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 05:07:00 am »

I dunno...

Maybe DFCom:Elephant Defence?

Then "DFCom:Terror from the Deep", about carp.

Someone should post something relevant and put the thread back on the initial track, if there was one.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 05:14:00 am »

Ok, lemme try get us back on topic...

I faintly know that the new version is promised to be save-compatible with the new one. Will we get religions and the new stuff somehow tied in, or do I must generate a new world with the new religion-enabled DF?

fox has become enraged!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 69