Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Heading to China soon. What do I need to know?  (Read 8123 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Heading to China soon. What do I need to know?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 07:38:58 am »

I've returned from China a few weeks ago, actually.

Things went well enough. I didn't contract food poisoning or anything like that.

Squatting to use the toilet was awkward at first, but I managed in the end.

Hell, the biggest problem I really had in my time during Shenzhen (Aside from some small coworker troubles) was the smell of the bathrooms.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 10:48:21 am »

Yes the public ones are terrible... good to hear things went well.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

TWO CATATA

• Bay Watcher
  • twin kavat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 08:35:08 am »

Having travelled around China, I will say that Shenzhen and the surrounding area is very, very different from the rest of China - it's basically their sort of 'show-boat' city where everything works super great and it's all clean and modern. It's had insane amounts of foreign investment
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkin_village

https://gizmodo.com/5151377/chinas-death-buses-deliver-executions-organ-harvesting-on-the-go

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Cent_Party

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 09:15:33 am »

You do realize that I kind of already left?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 12:07:28 pm »

And posting some pop article about "death buses" with no sources that doesn't provide any evidence about the organ harvesting allegation, and doesn't clarify that the streaming is for government oversight not for the public (which I guess is what you're supposed to assume) until the body of the article.

They execute people, big deal, so do a lot of other countries, and they're innocent sometimes too.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 02:38:23 pm »

They execute people, big deal, so do a lot of other countries, and they're innocent sometimes too.

Yes, very big deal. Regardless of your stance on capital punishment as a justice method, China regularly executes more than the rest of the world combined - the list of crimes you can be publicly executed for is huge, and the tally we have is only from observed statistics by the UN/etc.

I don't agree with it in any country, but you're talking about thousands more than any other country and for crimes that are much lesser than other countries. I believe there's a lot of spin against China, but they do have atrocious human rights and I think it's very, very difficult to dispute that.

Note: Other countries also having terrible human rights doesn't make it ok.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 05:29:34 pm »

I fail to understand what good this does for someone who not only already been, but also already left, China.

What do I do with this information now?

Hell, what would have I done with this information if I recieved it while in China? Brought it up with my coworkers? Asked people if their government is okay killing people who might have done literally nothing?

I made this thread so I could get a little bit of info before I began my time in China. It's fulfilled its purpose now, and people don't seem to understand that.

I'd hate to cut off a discussion on human rights abuses before it even gets off the ground, but this thread isn't really the place for such discussion anyway, so if this thread keeps going down that route I'm just gonna go lock it.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 06:38:57 pm »

I fail to understand what good this does for someone who not only already been, but also already left, China.

What do I do with this information now?

Hell, what would have I done with this information if I recieved it while in China? Brought it up with my coworkers? Asked people if their government is okay killing people who might have done literally nothing?

I made this thread so I could get a little bit of info before I began my time in China. It's fulfilled its purpose now, and people don't seem to understand that.

I'd hate to cut off a discussion on human rights abuses before it even gets off the ground, but this thread isn't really the place for such discussion anyway, so if this thread keeps going down that route I'm just gonna go lock it.

I think generally, forum posts are a topic you raise, but it's not just about you specifically. When someone posts 'New BattlewarCarnage game out now' they may ask about if they might like it based on their views on the original Battlewarcarnage games, but it's also for general discussion and for other people to ask about if they might like it etc.

Basically, topics aren't created just to fulfil your need only - they're for general discussion. There might be others going to China, so it's not fulfilled it's purpose really.

That said, it isn't a human rights thread (although I'd say it is a major aspect of going to China and worth pointing out) and it shouldn't derail into that.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 07:12:38 pm »

Basically, topics aren't created just to fulfil your need only - they're for general discussion.
I'd argue that this is life advice, not general discussion, but then again I'm as guilty of occasional shitposts as anyone else here so carry on, citizen.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2018, 09:23:26 pm »

Lock buttons exist for this reason. Do your part, citizen, and lock a thread today.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2018, 07:24:53 am »

Lock buttons exist for this reason. Do your part, citizen, and lock a thread today.

I honestly don't get why people lock threads if the conversation is (at least moderately) civil and on topic.

Sure, you had a question you wanted answering, but unless it's something so specific to you (which this is not - lots of people go to China) then I think the most civil thing to do is to keep it open so others can partake in the discussion and share their viewpoints. I don't feel it's in the spirit of forums (especially B12) to lock a thread just because you've gotten what you want out of it/it's of no relevance to you.

Think of it like a game thread - you've opened it because you want to talk about a blasterspacemonkeys - you've stopped playing it and moved on to something else; is it right to lock it just because you have no need of it? It's exactly the same thing. You've no need for more China info, but others might. It's the whole point of a forum instead of a chat room.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 12:28:36 pm »

It's up to the thread creator what they want to have happen with it. When people parachute in to an old thread and drop, if not incorrect than at least biased information, it's well within the thread creator's prerogative to be like "nope."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 05:38:18 pm »

Yes, very big deal. Regardless of your stance on capital punishment as a justice method, China regularly executes more than the rest of the world combined - the list of crimes you can be publicly executed for is huge, and the tally we have is only from observed statistics by the UN/etc.

I don't agree with it in any country, but you're talking about thousands more than any other country and for crimes that are much lesser than other countries. I believe there's a lot of spin against China, but they do have atrocious human rights and I think it's very, very difficult to dispute that.

Note: Other countries also having terrible human rights doesn't make it ok.
I didn't mean to pass a verdict on the morality of execution although I deserved a retort with how I dismissed it, I only included that to focus on pointing out how badly sourced, rhetorically worded, and lazily written that article is. To then post it as if this is useful info for someone going to China is ridiculous.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2018, 06:14:14 pm »

I didn't mean to pass a verdict on the morality of execution although I deserved a retort with how I dismissed it, I only included that to focus on pointing out how badly sourced, rhetorically worded, and lazily written that article is. To then post it as if this is useful info for someone going to China is ridiculous.

I certainly agree - articles like that don't help at all.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2019, 06:24:53 pm »

I don't know if I'll ever make it to China. I'm pretty sure I'd need a nanny or something to keep me out of trouble... I'd want to eat everything; I adore street food, but I'd definitely end up eating the wrong thing(s).

And probably eat it the wrong way too and seriously insult everyone in the process.
Pages: 1 [2] 3