Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Varied animals used to be available at embark. How to make that happen again?  (Read 944 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile

A long while back, various other creatures could be selected at embark, seemingly based upon the biomes covered by the parent civilization. Specifically I remember on occasion being able to select unusual animals at embark such as Grizzly Bears, Cave Crocodiles, and even Polar Bears. For quite some time now this never seems to happen and is just the basic domestic creatures. I don't think I've seen any notable variation in embark animal selection in a very long time.

Is there a way to mod this behavior back in? Not so much that they are always available (and can brought by migrants as pets) but how it may vary from world to world and civ to civ.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:19:17 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile

Entity tokens are your friend here. USE_COMMON_DOMESTIC (used by most civs as the default) grants them guaranteed access to any animal with the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag.

Conversely, the new Kobold-style [ANIMAL] entity tokens let you specify a CREATURE_CLASS or specific creature without guaranteeing they'll be available on embark, simply by not including the ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT token. This will make your civ include this animal/class if it's available in their biome, but otherwise it'll rely on historical taming or other such ANIMAL entries. There is no way to limit the number of animals selected, however, as a civ that expands across multiple biomes may end up acquiring every ANIMAL entry on its list.

You may run into issues during worldgen, since if a given civ doesn't stumble into a biome with a valid PACK_ANIMAL or WAGON_PULLER, trade will be impossible. My solution has been to make Mules an ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT for all non-hostile civs.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Two classes of [ANIMAL] denied creature types clashing with one another with no allowed class instead will often cause the code to be faulty and attempt to tame all creatures in the viscinity if that's what you're after, in which case your previous experience may have been a modding bug, but i cannot be certain.

Some other modders have used this little exploit with [ANIMAL] to pull creatures not availible normally from the raws like demons and night trolls into play, funnily enough. Other than that, all races with [RESPONSIBLITY:MILITARY_STRATEGY] can go off and tame creatures in their own time within worldgeneration either from adjacent biomes or more commonly the subterrean, though more often this happens if the position has a [RULE_FROM_SITE] level of responsiblity that mimics [POWER]

Rarely these creatures might be added to your embark, notable creatures that undergo this process are camels, though also dwarves settling near camels in worldgen would be enough usually to add them in to embark animal counts.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile

Thanks for the info, that gives me a good starting point.

Now that you mention it, I think these events may have been allowed by the old Lazy Newb Pack that had an exotic pet modifier option that you could toggle during world gen like Aquifers.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper