Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Voliol's Various Vivants [v3.6|50.11] - now with mice  (Read 43215 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: Voliol's Various Vivants [1.2] - now with iguanas and lingonberries
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 06:46:17 pm »

Huzzah, helmet crabs and rhinoceros iguanas! Did you actually get it so that helmet crabs pinch unsuspecting bystanders?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Voliol's Various Vivants [1.2] - now with iguanas and lingonberries
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 01:47:18 am »

Yup, though it’s just a modified VERMIN_BITE with a non-venom material attached (liquid-form chitin). It should only be for flavour, but now that I think of it it might cause a burn, depending on whether the game respects injected material temperatures, and how much of it is really injected. I also made them amphibious as dwarves don’t go for a swim often enough to encounter them otherwise.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Voliol's Various Vivants [v2.0|44.10] - now with urchins and cacti
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 10:20:09 am »

This update took a while due to be getting stuck on fire urchin's attack/some other IRL stuff. I reckoned that since I had doubled the amount of animals/vermin/plants included relative to the first version, this one deserved being 2.0 (version 3.0 will be the one having at least double this one, etc.)

Version 2.0 up

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 05:15:55 pm »

Wow, the tropical seas are going to be as weird and deadly as they are in real life when we're done with them so I might as well suggest even more deadly things that don't need to exist, like the blue ringed octopus, the stone fish, some particularly neurotoxin containing anemones, and the saltwater crocodile. But most of the stuff from there is completely aquatic, and unlikely to be encountered in Dwarf Fortress. On the other hand, the tropical rivers are just as crazy while being more accessible. Some friendly inhabitants could be the gharial, caiman, one of the larger piranhas like the black piranha which can bite with 30 times the force of its body weight, arapaima, payara, electric eels, and maybe the candiru if you're feeling especially confident. Of course, after writing this I realize that adding only deadly animals probably isn't the intention of this mod, so I'm probably going to look around for some less dangerous but still interesting animals.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 01:54:12 pm »

Heh, yeah, it is easy to get tempted to only add the dangerous animals. Currently I'm planning to do some birds (ibises), insects and some of Mechizedek's suggested plants. I'm trying to avoid adding too many mammals while this mod is still relatively small, especially more canines, though I'll get to those sooner or later. Some of those fish sound interesting though.

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Voliol's Various Vivants [1.0] - a real-life creature pack
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 04:49:54 pm »

Working on it, though due to the way gaits work they won't be able to walk on the seafloor (they swim instead). Japanese spider crabs and coconut crabs are currently in. Planning to add king crabs and touch up the animal people variations for better crab people before I release the update. If you have some specific crab you want me to do I can fit in that as well.

Many crab species can swim, actually.
Know I'm late to the party, but just wanted to point it out.

Anyways, I have an idea; hivable honeypot ants. Could be fun, but basic.

If you don't make it, I will, but if you want to allow submissions to this pack, I'd definitely offer it up. I get if you want this just to be your pet project, but the community contributing many small creatures over time could really add up.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 07:16:42 pm »

It would almost make sense if you could shear the ends of the feather star's arms for rope or thread or something, they grow them back in no time anyways.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Voliol's Various Vivants [1.0] - a real-life creature pack
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 01:10:08 pm »

Many crab species can swim, actually.
Know I'm late to the party, but just wanted to point it out.

Turns out this mod was more correct than I thought. Sweet!

It would almost make sense if you could shear the ends of the feather star's arms for rope or thread or something, they grow them back in no time anyways.

Sounds freaky, I'll see what I can do.

Another species of sea urchin (Echinus esculentus) as well as two kinds of ibises are in for the next version. Honeypot Ants are almost in, but I'm new to nest-builders and bee-keeping mechanics so I've got to learn how to deal with that first.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 02:28:40 pm »

Do urchins have animal man variants? How does that work? Are they just dudes with urchins for heads?

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 04:11:41 pm »

I'd imagine I know why you're adding Echinus esculentus, its common name is literally 'edible sea urchin'.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 04:34:00 pm »

Do urchins have animal man variants? How does that work? Are they just dudes with urchins for heads?
Yup, that +their bodies are made of the same stuff as urchins otherwise are (with exoskeleton and the like). Starfish men are the same but with starfish.

I'd imagine I know why you're adding Echinus esculentus, its common name is literally 'edible sea urchin'.
I mostly reckoned there should be a more "normal" non-venomous urchin as well as the fire ones. These do have valuable edible "roe organs" though; after googling "common sea urchin" these edible guys popped up and I figured I should do that fact justice.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 02:47:05 pm »

This is a pretty minor update, but I figured that since @fishboyliam wanted to know whether they should do honeypot ants or not, I should put my version of them up as soon as possible.

Version 2.1 up.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do honeypot ants just function as a beehive that doesn't sting you?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

Yeah, currently, wasn't all too sure what to do with it. It doesn't produce any wax though, you just get the honey directly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5