Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Voliol's Various Vivants [v3.6|50.11] - now with mice  (Read 43970 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You do realize roadrunners are a real animal right? And FYI they CAN fly

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

In DF there is sadly no way to make a creature that can fly but doesn't use flight as its primary means of transport. Note that DF peafowl and wild turkeys are flightless, even though they will fly to escape predators and roost in real life.

Since the best thing about roadrunners is the way they run down prey like little velociraptors I'd be okay with making them flightless to preserve this behavior.

terqo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I was actually thinking that exact thing that since the running is the most interesting thing about them and since roadrunners rarely fly in any case - or at least that's how I've understood...? - then might be same to just make them flightless.

Also, isn't the whole point of giant versions of creatures that they would adapt to their size? Meaning that if regular versions of animals eat insects or bugs or fish or anything meat-related then wouldn't the giant version just eat bigger meaty targets? For example dwarves. I just have this image in my head of a giant roadrunner chasing after dwarves and swallowing them whole.

In the same vein, giant herbivores could maybe devour smaller trees off the map? Is that possible?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

I did not know roadrunners were a real animal... Guess that makes me a big doofus. I'll add them, then.

Bigger carnivores should target creatures of bigger size, though I think that only applies to those who have the [CARNIVORE] token to begin with (unless you manually add it to the giant variant). This means cow-sized roadrunners will pluck dwarves, or rather peck them to death as I'm sure swallowing them whole would require some tricky interaction stuff, like transforming the dwarves temporarily into vermin.

Giant herbivores should not be able to eat bigger plants, as the only actual herbivorous behavior we have is grazing, and that only applies to grasses.

terqo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Yeah I kinda guessed that the swallowing would be hard. But it would be interesting if that could somehow be applied. Giant cave toads would become quite a lot more !FUN!.

Oh also, I am sure someone or you yourself have come up with this already but another good animal for consideration: the platypus! Am I right or am I right?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

Roadrunners are done now. They don't have the [FLIER] token, as IndigoFenix and terqo said, they don't really fly much/well IRL and sacrificing their running would be a shame.

What are your thoughts on bats? I already added one "flying fox" based on the large flying fox (yes, that is its name, Pteropus vampyrus). Do you have any suggestions/wishes for other specific bats? There are lots and lots of bat species, so any input that would make it easier to choose between them would be greatly appreciated.

terqo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

already in the game

Well so it seems! Huh.. I don't think I have ever seen a platypus or a platypus bone/skin etc product in the game and I've been playing since 2013. And definitely gone through my share of river embarks. Are they particularly rare?

Also thanks voliol on the roadrunners and bat(s). I don't know much about the modding and tokens of the creatures but do the vanilla bats have bloodsucking in them? I don't at least immediately recall ever seeing a combat log saying a giant cave bat would've sucked blood from a dwarf. Or is that something I've also just efficiently overlooked?

If no bloodsucking bats are in the game then that could also be added; vampire bats. By which I only mean the real-life counterpart who just plain feed on the blood and be done with it. No Nosferatu-syndrome inducing bats. I like vampirism as it is in the game for the moment.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Voliol's Various Vivants [v3.0|44.12] - now with bats and pelicans
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2019, 11:45:41 am »

A rather large update this time, with 15 new objects in it, including three bat species, two pelicans, roadrunners, and a few things that don't have wings, such as edible ocean oddities. I made it bigger as I figured the 3.0 version should have as much content as the initial release.
I am also relieved I managed to get this up before SQman's next Animal Diversification Project's next update, as this updates contains zebras.
Oh well, I hope you enjoy whatever this version, and as always, the full change log is in the first post of this thread.

Version 3.0 up.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Voliol's Various Vivants [v3.1|47.01] - now with figs and hornets
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2020, 09:46:54 am »

With a new DF version, I should also make sure this mod is updated. Well, there wasn't much to do (I hope) but adding the petting reaction to the special animal people template. Some creatures and plants have also been added.

Version 3.1 up.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2020, 12:19:16 pm »

Congratulations on posting the first 47.01 mod!
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2020, 12:49:43 pm »

Thank you :). I had the luck of living in the right time zone, and having a relatively light mod in an update with no creature/plant tokens.
Well, I might be able to do something with the new interaction tokens, but otherwise this field day is mostly for other mods. And all players, of course!

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2020, 02:34:32 pm »

If you're interested I've made my own centipede body raw.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It has 19 distinct leg bearing segments rather than a single one part body
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2020, 04:03:29 pm »

If you're interested I've made my own centipede body raw.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It has 19 distinct leg bearing segments rather than a single one part body

I do appreciate the sentiment, but my simplified centipedes are more of a design choice than anything :). I did partially not to overload the body part targeting screen, but also because it's in line with vanilla snakes and worms, and because it meshes really well with the animal man template.

Do you have any requests? I don't have too much time for modding right now due to school, but any suggestions I'll try to keep in mind when adding new stuff.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5