Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RougeScape C# RougLike game engine  (Read 1164 times)

Merlinus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
RougeScape C# RougLike game engine
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:25:38 am »

I am in the process of developing a Rougelike game engine using C# in Monogame. It will also make use of TuplerScript, an interpreted programming language I designed last month, so modders can change how the game operates by editing text files. I don't have much to show for it at the moment, as most of it is just code. However, it probably wont be long before I can release some examples of what the engine is capable of.

I am wondering what I should actually do with this project. There are a number of options:

• Make a space game - I might think about making some sort of Dwarf Fortress esque space game, but with stars and planets instead of castles and hamlets.
  • Make a Mount and Blade game-  I love the game Mount and Blade: Warband. Maybe i could make a similar game, but with Rougelike graphics.
  • Release it open source - One thing I could do, is release the engine open source. This would allow people to use it to build their own games. I could then dedicate my time to updating the engine, documenting things, and making it easy for people to get started with.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: RougeScape C# RougLike game engine
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:17:35 am »

open source space game! You never know, it could spawn hundreds of offshoots and branches
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 07:11:25 am »

open source space game! You never know, it could spawn hundreds of offshoots and branches
+1
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Merlinus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 08:20:18 am »

That sounds like a plan! Its going very well, and I should release something soon. Trying to decide on a good code repository website.

SabbaticGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • help im stuck in a aquif-blublubublbulubl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 01:32:56 am »

Personally I'm super interested! I'm a developer looking for an ASCII engine to program my fey mood into. It will be called "Asylum of the Dwarf King," a roguelike taking place entirely within a Dwarf Fortress, wherein you are a human trying to escape after delving too deep into the King's pastimes...

Anyway, I hope you have a functioning prototype out soon so I can mess around with it!
hehe i became a girl

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 02:54:50 am »

Oh, and can I beta-test the space game once it reaches beta? I have the right mindset for finding bugs.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.