Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with bridges.  (Read 555 times)

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
Need help with bridges.
« on: June 12, 2018, 12:02:14 pm »

So I'm playing a fort on an evil region, so I built a bridge gate, the bridge will raise to the right sealing off my fort, my question is, when I raise it, I did notice that my dwarves couldn't get out anymore, but the visuals of the bridge changed nothing, does a raised and a downed bridge indeed looks the same? Or did I encounter a bug?
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with bridges.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 12:13:37 pm »

Is it a 1x1 bridge? I'm sure bridges look different when in lowered or raised state. But I don't think I've ever made a 1x1 raising bridge, so that is the only situation I'm not sure about. But I'd suppose they look different too.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 12:17:14 pm »

It's a 3x1 bridge, It just wont change appeareance between lowered and raised, I know it's raised because my dwarves can't get out of the fort anymore.
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:21:14 pm »

Actually nevermind, as it seems that problem happens with bridges of any size, as long as it is x1, It could be 999x1, and I would have that problem, I just deconstructed it, and made it 3x2, problem solved!

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:27:30 pm »

Ah, damn, I didn't make 1 tile wide bridges either. But I just checked and they seem to look same indeed.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 02:20:55 pm »

Two workarounds:

1. Build a retractable bridge linked to the same lever as the 1x3 drawbridge that you care about. The state of the retractable bridge will tell you the state of the drawbridge.

2. Use a tileset that makes lever states more obvious and easier to remember. Meph's set uses red for default state and green for altered state. And DFHack's Ctrl-M command will remind you which lever is connected to which bridge.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 08:12:49 pm »

Use a tileset that makes lever states more obvious and easier to remember.
This doesn't necessarily indicate the state of the bridge if it was pulled twice in quick succession.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 04:09:34 am »

I'm so used to a method to detect the state of the bridge, that I don't mind using 1x1 brides, unless in some very critical spots, like atom smasher (I use 1x2 bridges or 2x1 for that, depending on directions, to see the state at a glance).

The method is to press "b-o" (building Paved Road) and point to the bridge. If it says "Building present", the bridge is down and passable. If it says "Blocked", the bridge is up and unpassable. I even use a mnemonic to remember that, so I don't have to read actual words. "Building present" is two words, hence long, like two tiles of normal, deployed 2x1 bridge. "Blocked" is one word, or short, like one tile of raised bridge (also the passage is "blocked", duh).

The bigger bridges are still better for most occasions, but sometimes there's just not enough place and the narrow bridges are needed, especially in trap design.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 02:24:41 pm »

This is such a common problem, it's strange that DFHack doesn't have a feature to report the bridge's state on the q menu.