Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swap Out Old Clothing Instead of Dropping on the Ground  (Read 1347 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Swap Out Old Clothing Instead of Dropping on the Ground
« on: June 05, 2018, 02:44:58 pm »

Dwarves dropping their worn and damaged equipment all over the fort is annoying, and leaves them vulnerable if something attacks them while they're going to grab the new equipment. They should wait until they reach the new items to drop their current ones. This also avoids a pointless hauling task of the old equipment.

In conjunction with this, it would be beneficial to include 'wear' under the stockpile quality settings. This would prevent clothing stockpiles from filling up with junk.

There's an additional consideration where two soldiers each want the other's item. I suppose they should probably need to be able to find each other and trade equipment. This can be done either by dropping the items when they meet, or like in adventure mode trading.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Swap Out Old Clothing Instead of Dropping on the Ground
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 03:14:01 pm »

How about when a dorfs has replaced their worn out clothes they are automatically given a work-order to take their old clothes to a refuse stockpile(assuming hauling multiple small/light items at the same time will be possible).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 09:10:08 pm »

As long as that doesn't include metal armor.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 03:31:10 pm »

A shirt, pair of pants, set of socks, and a set of gloves shouldn't logically result in 6 different hauling jobs to the refuse stockpile, it should just take 1.
Metal armor on the other hand would be both gauntlets in one trip, both boots in another, and each of the larger pieces in their individual hauling job.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 06:23:12 pm »

Dwarves multi-haul nearby items already, don't they? The issue is that worn items currently aren't stored in the refuse stockpile.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 08:30:43 pm »

Never got as far as noticing if they haul multiple small items at the same time.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 09:13:18 pm »

I agree that the continual cluttering of the fortress is an issue both for aesthetics and for performance reasons. Two issues that I see with this are:

1) How does it interact with military uniforms?

and

2) What effect will this have on cabinets in a given dwarf's room? Are those now obsolete?

For #2 I suppose that could be fixed by having the game check if there's a garment in the dwarf's possession that would interfere with what they are currently wearing, and count that article as the dwarf's second set, locking them from grabbing a third. When going to swap clothes, they would have to make a decision to swap out either their currently equipped or their second set. Perhaps whichever has more wear/less value?

I think that there is currently a non-functional / buggy option in the (o)rders menu for clothes in the refuse pile.

As far as military uniforms go, that's a bit more tricky as we've seen throughout the iterations of the game, as there is the civilian set that a dwarf may own as well as their uniform, which can get swapped out according to their scheduled orders. Playing around with that may be pretty tricky to do, but success in implementing this sort of feature could provide insight into how to fix the bug with civilian and military uniforms interfering, i.e. when a woodcutter with an axe is assigned to a squad with swords and shields.

In addition, for military uniforms the game will need a way to distinguish between what is armor and what is clothing. Worn out armor will be replaced in the current version if it is damaged (I'm pretty sure- not 100% though). If the dwarf goes to replace his metal armor, will it go into the refuse stockpile like worn out clothes, or will it go into the armor stockpile?

Oh and a quick way to see dwarves haul multiple items is to designate a large swath of land on the surface for plant gathering. They'll grab lots of berries and veggies before heading back to the food stockpile.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 03:43:43 am »

I support the idea of replacing "drop where you stand and then later go and grab a replacement" with "claim replacement and later go and pick it up, and when picking it up, shed the old item first, releasing the claim on it while doing so". You'd then usually get the junk in the fresh item stockpile, which is non optimal when it comes to disposing of old garbage clothing, but probably beneficial when wanting to reforge (or repair, if that's implemented) worn armor.

I don't see a huge need for any special military hand-me-down protocol, even if it would be nice. It's probably sufficient for them to file down to the forge stockpile for dropping off the old item and pick up the new one regardless of whether the new one was shed by someone else or it was new.

I definitely would like to see improved stockpile definitions as well, such that wear and size could be specified (I want to keep all underwear for fortress use, apart from the non citizen sized ones, which can't be used, and thus should be disposed of). If stockpile wear definitions were possible dropped worn items might not match the stockpile settings, and thus trigger hauling jobs to stockpiles that do take them (refuse/trade/destruction dumping route stop linked stockpile).

There's multi hauling for some tasks (in case of fruit it's overly aggressive, as I get a lot of junk plants carried back even when zones are specified to only pick fruit, quite possibly plants in the same tiles as the fruit), but so far I've never observed dorfs to haul multiple pieces of worn clothing to their rooms, even when a large pile of old clothes was dropped originally. Instead, they tend to pick up one item at a time. If drop on replacement would be implemented there'd be no hauling to the rooms any more (and not much need for the cabinets, although some dorfs stuff their cabinets/floors with unworn items of maximum quality, for some reason, probably personality based).

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 09:52:12 am »

Worn-out metal armor could be automatically designated to be melted down when replaced.