Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making dawrves use items/spells  (Read 753 times)

BinaryBlackhole

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Wererats in the Walls
    • View Profile
Making dawrves use items/spells
« on: June 07, 2018, 04:57:30 am »

With the distantly upcoming magic updates there'll be spells and maybe magical consumables.
However these certainly won't be very useful in fortress mode in the military and such if we have dwarves using the make myself explode spell as soon as someone attacks or making such spells unfeasible due to the excessive FUN. This may be more of a problem if there are serious costs. As such we'll need some rudimentary ability to restrict spell usage at the very least. Preferably we would also have the ability to order dwarves to use spells/consumables.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making dawrves use items/spells
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 05:04:12 am »

With the distantly upcoming magic updates there'll be spells and maybe magical consumables.
However these certainly won't be very useful in fortress mode in the military and such if we have dwarves using the make myself explode spell as soon as someone attacks or making such spells unfeasible due to the excessive FUN. This may be more of a problem if there are serious costs. As such we'll need some rudimentary ability to restrict spell usage at the very least. Preferably we would also have the ability to order dwarves to use spells/consumables.
But I want my mage dorfs to explode themselves when attacked by goblins. It's their way of life, why should we deny them?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:52:32 am »

Magic is coming in 2-ish years. Not distantly upcoming by DF standards. :P I can only imagine the hype train. Even with 2 years ETA for the update, the train is already speeding up. What will happen in the last month? Probably not suggestions (too late), but definitely lots of HYPE.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 10:24:43 am »

Yeah, the wait for the first magic release won't be all that long. We can expect it by early 2021 at the very latest, so not significantly longer than we spent waiting for the 0.34-0.40 jump in 2014. When you take into account all the features we'll still be waiting another 10-20 years for, magic is right around the corner by comparison.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:29:05 am by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.