Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Your Criteria for the Perfect Location  (Read 2928 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Your Criteria for the Perfect Location
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 12:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by palin88:
<STRONG>I've seen mountains with flux before, and flat plains with magma and flux, but finding a mountain with magma AND flux seems to be incredibly difficult. Also, I was curious, is there a reason why people seem to prefer limestone as their flux? It seems to be one of the rarer sedimentary layers in the game.</STRONG>

i dont know abpout other flux but i was poking through the raws (doubling marbles value, but i digress) and i noticed limestone was labelled
[SEDIMENTARY][SEDIMENTARY_OCEAN_DEEP] may be why it doesnt appear around mountains much,

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »

A really good location for me used to include magma, running water, trees, sand, flux (preferably limestone or chalk but dolomite'd work also), and at least 3 different kinds of rock classification types (out of sedimentary, metamorphic, extrusive igneous, and extrusive igneous), with metamorphic being somewhat less interesting than the others.  A good way to get all of these things is to find two interesting biomes and build on a site where they meet.

Flat versus mountainous?  I can go both ways.  Flat land means easier management of a fortress and of sieges (less jumping around z-levels to find things) and also tends to improve framerate.  Cliffs mean more rock to dig and more interesting excavation possibilities, but do attract troublemaking giant eagles.

I prefer to avoid caves, chasms, ruins, etc. due largely to framerate issues (this problem seems to be getting attention from Toady).

Nowadays, I focus (even) more on CPU load.  Fluids chew up cycles big-time, so it's not currently possible for me to have both magma and any great number of dwarves (like, more than 20 or so).  I hope that this will change eventually and trust Toady to sort this out, given time.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shakkara:
<STRONG>
Clay for farms
</STRONG>

farms can use any soil type, not just clay

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thatguyyaknow:
<STRONG>

i dont know abpout other flux but i was poking through the raws (doubling marbles value, but i digress) and i noticed limestone was labelled
[SEDIMENTARY][SEDIMENTARY_OCEAN_DEEP] may be why it doesnt appear around mountains much,</STRONG>

Yeah, when searching for locations I was pretty much picking low lying sedimentary basins with magma intrusions. You have to get lucky and find a chunk of uplifted mountains surrounding a vent in an otherwise low altitude basin. And here I never thought I'd have a use for what I learned in Geology 101.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

Yeah, when searching for locations I was pretty much picking low lying sedimentary basins with magma intrusions. You have to get lucky and find a chunk of uplifted mountains surrounding a vent in an otherwise low altitude basin. And here I never thought I'd have a use for what I learned in Geology 101.</STRONG>

Of topic:
I just keep finding it wonderful how people, me included, actually discus these things, it proves what a great job Toady has done making us actually FEEL and THINK like dwaves.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

What I REALLY want is a waterfall, sand, and magma in the same location.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>So, as a result of my epic hunt for epic starting spots I ran across what might be the holy grail of fortress locations.

</STRONG>

my magma is 7 tiles further down 3 to the left, it is normal for magma to be in different places? otherwise map is identical

My HoM.

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

my magma is 7 tiles further down 3 to the left, it is normal for magma to be in different places? otherwise map is identical</STRONG>

Operating system seems to make a difference, and if you give it a custom name instead of a random name it will change the generation process by one step (which might lead to similar, but different worlds)

I generated that map using version 33b on Windows XP service pack 2

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: palin88 ]

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

Operating system seems to make a difference, and if you give it a custom name instead of a random name it will change the generation process by one step (which might lead to similar, but different worlds)

I generated that map using version 33c on Windows XP service pack 2</STRONG>

are you sure you used c? i re-downloaded 33b and it made the magma in the same place as yours.

My HoM.

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

are you sure you used c? i re-downloaded 33b and it made the magma in the same place as yours.</STRONG>

You're right, I posted the wrong version number, I edited my post to correct it.

I'm currently not using 33c because the injury bug seems to be a bit game-breaking.

Greenwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

I have a crummy computer, so I prefer flat 3x3 sites.

Features I search for are:
Underground River (permanent water supply and silk, maybe tower caps)
Adamantium (elite troops. i prefer a military defense, minimal traps)
Iron (same as above, for iron/steel gear)
Marble (sounds better to have a marble floor than limestone or chalk, and its a flux)
Heavily forested surface (beds and charcoal for steelmaking)
Magma (for obsidian and steelmaking, along with precious metals for furniture)
Sand (preferably two layers, for easy storage rooms and farming. less excess rock)

This means I usually search around the edges where mountains meet forests looking for a place with Sand, Marble, and some type of sedimentary layer for iron.  Then I go in an use reveal to see whether there is addy and a cave river within a 3x3 area.

Best I've found so far is 3x4 (could do 3x3 but you only get the very end of the river, before it dumps into a chasm) with sand, iron, marble, and addy.  There is enough magma in the addy pit for 10 workshops, but it'd turn to obsidian with temp on, could still fuel 8 without hardening, if I did some clever pumping and channeling.  Of course that means fighting the demons before getting my steel operation running.  There isn't as much wood as i'd like, enough for beds but not enough for a proper steel industry, though coal deposits should make up for it.  It isn't flat, but there aren't any big cliffs.

I don't think I'm going to bother building here though until I replace my PC.  I tried adjuststart to give myself 100 dwarves and my FPS goes to hell as soon as they have jobs, even on a flat, empty 3x3.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nil Eyeglazed:
<STRONG>I demand evil locations for interesting encounters.  This has been my major problem with posted seeds, which are all good or neutral.  I want access to everything-- including undead!  Anybody ever seen any skeletal unicorns?</STRONG>

Skeletal = Evil-aligned
Unicorns = Good-aligned

You can't have them, sorry.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »

Perfect location:

Magma. This is simply an absolute requirement for all fortresses.
Sand as the lowest soil level, preferably not yellow because I just don't like it. It needs to be the lowest so I can drop it deep underground.
Water Source, preferably cave river (for silk and tower caps), with the endpoint, the chasm shaft, for drainage.
Partially Evil Forests- not zombified. This gives phantom spider silk, evil trees, and silver barbs.
Partially Good Swamps- this gives sunberries, and good trees as well as slugmen/snailmen. I just love those things (they're the only reason for it to be swamps)
Savage- one or both of the vegetated biomes should have highwood and whip vine.
Partially evil mountains (not zombified)- because I love dark gnome skull totems.
Cliff faces- it doesn't need to be tall, but dwarves just don't fit in right on flat terrain.
A surface river that becomes a waterfall/canyon would be really cool too.
Chasm, preferably pit-type, as those are better aesthetically. This is for military fun, as well as the hope of giant cave spider silk.
Local flux isn't necessary at all in the current version, but some sedimentary rock would be nice for the absurd amounts of magnetite- it would be better if that sedimentary rock was a flux.
A named peak or a volcano would be ideal, for all the goodies that entails.
Of course adamantine is a must.
And all this must be only 3x3 tiles in area, both for processor reasons as well as ease of trading.

The closest I've gotten to this fortress on a functional level is a zombie-free evil forest with all the glumprongs and highwoods you can shake a stick at, covered in phantom spider silk, all on flat plains by a surface river with magma and sand (not the lowest soil, though). It could be contained in 3x3, but 4x4 gets some sedimentary rock, and all the delicious magnetite that comes with it (no flux, but who cares anymore?)

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

are you sure you used c? i re-downloaded 33b and it made the magma in the same place as yours.</STRONG>

Ok, I actually went and tested this myself, executing

dwarfort.exe -gen 1 2937366080 STANDARD

Using version 33c gives me an identical map as when its generated using 33b
Try running that command directly to make sure no mistakes were made with the seed, otherwise this sounds like a very obscure bug.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2007, 07:51:00 pm »

I mentioned this in a thread in Gameplay Questions (Along with some related questions), but here's what I just found.

quote:
Size: 6x3
Biomes: 4 - Temp. Savana (#1, 10 squares), Temp. Shrubland (#2, 6 squares), Temp. shrubland (#3, 1 square), Temp. Savanna (#4, 1 square)
Temperature: Temperate
Trees: Woodland (#1, #4); Sparse (#2, #3)
Other vegetation: Moderate
Surroundings: Terrifying

Rocks:
Soil: Black sand (#2, #4), Silty clay (#3), Silty clay loam (#1), Yellow sand (#2, #4)
Sedimentary: Rock salt (#1)
Igneous extrusive: Basalt (#2, #3, #4), Felsite (#3)
Igneous intrusive: Diorite (#2, #3, #4), Gabbro (#1, #2, #4)
Metamorphic: Quartzite (#1)

Features:
All civs
Brook
Evil (As I wanted)
Flat
Located on the delightfully named "Hill of Tumors"
Magma vent
NO AQUAFIER

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4