Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vampyr - VM:Bloodlines successor?  (Read 2773 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Vampyr - VM:Bloodlines successor?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 09:35:35 pm »

The werewolf isn't real.  I care though, because I got the game to play a vampire, not a dude with ghost powers and a baseball bat
Shoes...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 10:15:42 pm »

i know the werewolf isnt real but you were talking about thematic appropriateness which is more of an in-universe issue

And, I mean, that's fine. I think the game's pretty alright as it is.
Black lives matter.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 07:58:29 pm »

Got it an am unimpressed. Bland brooding hero #2353 kills a sister we've literally never met and have no connection to and is launched into what looks like a Mordheim map to kill endless goons and listen to endless sob stories.

They could have taken a note from the 90s Vampire game and started you as a mortal and introduced some of the town/hospital and the sister which makes for the "tragic" cut scene with which the game begins. But nope, darkness and gloom from the start, you begin the game as a vampire and a vampire hunter shoehorns you into working for his hospital as a vampire doctor (something that makes absolutely no sense, from either of your's perspective-- you "Oh god, I've become an unholy creature of the night, I don't understand my condition at all and I killed someone I love while hungry." Vampire Hunter: "Want a job at my hospital taking care of dying people, where you could feed and no one would know?" You: "Sounds like an ethical and sound plan!"

Finally, the first quest I get after the tutorialite run-around once the game is open is basically "fetch medical supplies out of the hospital morgue across the alley". Which somehow turns into "you are attacked by dozens of little zombie vampires, oh and a teleporting splitting zombie vampire boss", but at no point is there an opportunity to regain blood, since while the vampire zombies have no problem drinking your blood with an attack that seems to interrupt whatever you are doing, you can't stun and feed on them, and since every time you die, your bloodpool returns to a depleted level just above zero, and you restart the level with the enemies respawned.  Am I supposed to leave this quest, and go murder someone? Am i supposed to tank these endless creatures without any powers? What is the game design expectation here? Throw me some respawning rats, at least!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:03:30 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 09:27:23 am »

Got it an am unimpressed. Bland brooding hero #2353 kills a sister we've literally never met and have no connection to and is launched into what looks like a Mordheim map to kill endless goons and listen to endless sob stories.

They could have taken a note from the 90s Vampire game and started you as a mortal and introduced some of the town/hospital and the sister which makes for the "tragic" cut scene with which the game begins. But nope, darkness and gloom from the start, you begin the game as a vampire and a vampire hunter shoehorns you into working for his hospital as a vampire doctor (something that makes absolutely no sense, from either of your's perspective-- you "Oh god, I've become an unholy creature of the night, I don't understand my condition at all and I killed someone I love while hungry." Vampire Hunter: "Want a job at my hospital taking care of dying people, where you could feed and no one would know?" You: "Sounds like an ethical and sound plan!"

Finally, the first quest I get after the tutorialite run-around once the game is open is basically "fetch medical supplies out of the hospital morgue across the alley". Which somehow turns into "you are attacked by dozens of little zombie vampires, oh and a teleporting splitting zombie vampire boss", but at no point is there an opportunity to regain blood, since while the vampire zombies have no problem drinking your blood with an attack that seems to interrupt whatever you are doing, you can't stun and feed on them, and since every time you die, your bloodpool returns to a depleted level just above zero, and you restart the level with the enemies respawned.  Am I supposed to leave this quest, and go murder someone? Am i supposed to tank these endless creatures without any powers? What is the game design expectation here? Throw me some respawning rats, at least!

Well actually, you find a blood-draining weapon in the very same morgue which is quite useful for not running out of blood in the follow Boss-fight...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 08:43:40 pm »

Well actually, you find a blood-draining weapon in the very same morgue which is quite useful for not running out of blood in the follow Boss-fight...

Hmm didn't find it, will check tonight I guess.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 01:53:34 am »

Hmm didn't find it, will check tonight I guess.

It was on the table right next to the sailor corpse that is also a citizen investigation into medical malpractice.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 11:05:26 am »

You can drink blood by stunning them.  If you have the stake just use the alt attack.  Once you find the two-handed cudgel the game becomes really easy cause it stuns on regular attacks.  I don't think enemies drain your blood pool by drinking you, they just do aggravated damage?

It seems like you might have the blood mixed up though.  Your blood pool is used for abilities, and all you have to do is stun the enemy (with stake, gun, or club) to drink their blood.  Murdering citizens gets you experience, not blood, and is a more involved process.  The full Embrace is basically eating their soul, you can their final thoughts and memories.
Shoes...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 12:15:19 pm »

You can drink blood by stunning them.  If you have the stake just use the alt attack.  Once you find the two-handed cudgel the game becomes really easy cause it stuns on regular attacks.  I don't think enemies drain your blood pool by drinking you, they just do aggravated damage?

It seems like you might have the blood mixed up though.  Your blood pool is used for abilities, and all you have to do is stun the enemy (with stake, gun, or club) to drink their blood.  Murdering citizens gets you experience, not blood, and is a more involved process.  The full Embrace is basically eating their soul, you can their final thoughts and memories.

Gotcha, thanks! I haven't killed a citizen yet, and I assumed you refilled your blood pool along with the XP. I've been trying to stun them, but whereas the hunter thugs became stunned quickly the zombie vampires seem to have an inordinately long stun bar and don't respond to that tactic, so I assumed I wasn't supposed to stun them or drink from them, maybe I unequipped my stake by equipping a 2-handed weapons? The inexplicable decision to make the inventory and equipment screens completely different and separate confuses me a bit, in terms of letting me know what I am actually using.

I think this is just not my game, everything feels frustrating and I am bouncing off the second mission.  I tried going for the blood-taking scalpel, but I can't reach it anymore, since I died to the boss, the whole morgue is re-populated, I have no blood, no way to use my abilities, beyond trying to swing at them with either the impossibly slow scythe or impossible low damage everything else, and they keep jumping me in packs, stun-locking me and returning me back to the beginning of the level.

Edit: yeah, I think it just that I really suck at this game, I got the scalpel, drink the zombie vampires dry and the boss still pulverized me multiple times.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:01:56 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
Pages: 1 [2]