Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Simple Suggestion - Ceiling Height Contributes to Room Value  (Read 795 times)

GumGuts

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A Simple Suggestion - Ceiling Height Contributes to Room Value
« on: December 09, 2022, 10:42:43 pm »

Just like the title says. Guilds, temples, throne rooms, etc, are pretty boring right now. Having ceiling height alter room value would encourage a lot of creativity.

Side note: does Today ever read these threads?

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Simple Suggestion - Ceiling Height Contributes to Room Value
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 12:22:05 am »

He does, though he generally won't remark on them lest he give people false hope.

I... think this might actually already work? You can just create a "meeting hall" zone in the ceiling of whatever room, out to the walls confining the upper limits of that ceiling, and give it to the location in question. It'd add the value of the walls to the total location value, I think.

Though I don't know if that'd result in dwarfs trying to crawl up the walls.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 03:34:53 am »

I dont think in the current version you can create zones in mid air. so this is sort of a thing I dreamed of as well, because many of my fanciest rooms are multi-z. What I do instead is make sure there is at least a platform or a floor on each z-level so I can maximize the value gained from that feature.

but as addition to the game? multi-z rooms? absolutely. give it to me!

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 10:49:38 am »

It'd be a nice immersive wrinkle if some performances (certain dances, traveling bards, etc.) required lots of headroom, and therefore could not be held in rooms of only 1 z-level. Juggling, tightrope-walking, stilts, trampolines, tall headdresses . . . acrobats, in particular, might only be comfortable to freely show off their skills in rooms of 3 z-levels or more, and accordingly reward the audience with their best stunts. Also, I'm not saying the worshipers of all gods should want high ceilings in their temples--but the followers of sky gods certainly should.

Players already want, and build, lofty rooms of their own accord. Might as well add some flavor to help fill that space.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Enemjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 01:45:31 pm »

This ceiling feature would support chandeliers, albeit with their installation involving scaffolding. Although Toady has discussed the implementation of light sources (candles, etc.), it seems unlikely that this will be developed in the near future. Despite the absence of a dynamic light source mechanism, the quality of the chandelier would enhance the value of the ceiling room, thereby increasing the value of the room below. Chandeliers would be constructed using chains.

Chandelier construction dynamics could mirror those of wells but in reverse. Regardless of where the chandelier itself is constructed, its chain would extend to an anchor point at the highest level of a multi-Z-level vault.

5 ceiling
4 chain
3 chain
2 chain
1 CHANDELIER
0 floor

Multi-Z-level rooms might also enhance the positive impact of stories, poems, and musical performances due to superior acoustics.

Multi-Z-level rooms would be required for aviaries.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 01:49:58 pm by Enemjay »

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 09:40:48 am »

Higher ceilings might also be required for some new building material storage, particularly timber/lumber and stone.