Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hollow Knight: Soulslike Metroidvania.  (Read 1277 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Hollow Knight: Soulslike Metroidvania.
« on: December 01, 2019, 06:21:29 pm »

Find it here
I’ve racked up a good hundred hours on this Game. It’s difficult, especially in the early game, but it’s dripping with atmosphere, rich in story, thrives on Player discovery, and honestly, what more do you want. The art is also gorgeous.
Please keep any and all spoilers in spoiler tags. The Game is best experienced blind. I should stop gushing now.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:41:45 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Hollow Knight
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 06:30:07 pm »

I got about 4 hours in before getting bored and moving on.
The aesthetic style really did not hook me. It's not poorly executed at all...but the concept just doesn't spark my interest.
Gameplay is pretty basic platformer stuff. Move left, move right, jump sometimes...doesn't really do anything to move the genre forward.
I may give it another chance. Overwhelmingly positive reviews, so there must be something there if I just invest a bit more time into the game...but it's really not doing much to compel me forward so far.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 06:45:01 pm by Folly »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 06:37:39 pm »

Aesthetic not being my thing is also why I've never tried it. Spooky cute usually just doesn't do it for me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 07:02:45 pm »

When I first played it I didn’t make it far into the first area. Once you get through it a bit, though, it opens up a lot. Most, if not all, of the complexity and depth of the game is added and expanded over time.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 08:12:57 pm »

I got about 4 hours in before getting bored and moving on.
The aesthetic style really did not hook me. It's not poorly executed at all...but the concept just doesn't spark my interest.
Gameplay is pretty basic platformer stuff. Move left, move right, jump sometimes...doesn't really do anything to move the genre forward.
I may give it another chance. Overwhelmingly positive reviews, so there must be something there if I just invest a bit more time into the game...but it's really not doing much to compel me forward so far.

It ramps up slow but it gets very good. By the time you get to the DLC stuff it's insanely difficult.

And like any good metroidvania, the middle is full of interesting, different paths to explore - like, looking for the next tool that will unlock the next area, getting a new ability that makes you rethink combat or changes your approach, etc.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:14:52 pm by ZeroGravitas »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 02:33:36 am »

I adore Hollow Knight. Simple mechanics that still leave lots of room for challenge, a cute art style that belies a dark story, and some downright awesome music to accompany it all. I'm super hyped for Silksong.

... Did we really not have a thread for this game?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 05:41:37 am »

Awesome game, beautiful, moody, and so much fun.

I wish I didn't suck at it.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 03:30:50 pm »

Damned if I'm going to let this thread get buried with only six posts.

Christopher Larkin (Hollow Knight composer) just recently uploaded a sample of Silksong's music to various places, and I'm currently enjoying the heck out of it. You can listen to it on YouTube or Bandcamp (and download it for free if you want to keep your blood pressure about 50% higher than usual throughout the day listening to those tense string parts).