Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Total War: Three Kingdoms - Grand Scale Romantic Historical Battles.  (Read 11835 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms - Grand Scale Romantic Wuxia Battles.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 06:33:48 pm »

I am just wondering why whomever first transliterated chinese names did so in ways that don't reflect at all how to pronounce them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 06:36:05 pm »

Ka-kaw!
Love, scriver~

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 11:54:10 pm »

I am just wondering why whomever first transliterated chinese names did so in ways that don't reflect at all how to pronounce them.

Well, the wades-giles version tries to do that but it  uhh, results in names looking like this.

Ts'ao Ts'ao

Chuko Liang

Ssŭma Shih

etc

I guess it wouldn't be too bad if more things used wades-giles, but it ends up being really confusing when you're reading the novel and trying to remember who everyone is. (If only Moss Roberts had included a character glossary like the translator for my version of The Story of the Stone did.)

Edit: I have no idea who Zheng Jiang is but she looks cool I guess. I'm surprised Dong Zhou isn't playable though. Seems like they're going to sell him as dlc then.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:06:13 am by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 04:05:50 am »

It's already super confusing though - I read through the list of commanders yesterday and there's no way my brain is going to remember what name belongs to who at all.

Except for Tsao Tsao and Liu Bei but I already knew those two from before.

I imagine that it must be a little bit like what looking at the part of Swedish history where there are two sides in a civil war and everyone is called Erik (Including Erik Eriksson, son of one of the original Eriks) must be like for foreigners. It's just hard for me to "get" Chinese names. Presumably it would be better if I spoke Chinese whichever of the two famous languages they are in.

I were to translirerate the pronunciation of Cao Cao as he pronounced it in the video I would probably have written it Zao Zao though.
Love, scriver~

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 10:40:00 am »

It's already super confusing though - I read through the list of commanders yesterday and there's no way my brain is going to remember what name belongs to who at all.

Except for Tsao Tsao and Liu Bei but I already knew those two from before.

I imagine that it must be a little bit like what looking at the part of Swedish history where there are two sides in a civil war and everyone is called Erik (Including Erik Eriksson, son of one of the original Eriks) must be like for foreigners. It's just hard for me to "get" Chinese names. Presumably it would be better if I spoke Chinese whichever of the two famous languages they are in.

I were to translirerate the pronunciation of Cao Cao as he pronounced it in the video I would probably have written it Zao Zao though.

Honestly, there's over a thousand characters in Three Kingdoms, no one remembers all of them although knowing Chinese I'm sure helps a lot. There's a reason why Kongming.net exists though, and it's mostly so you can look up characters to see which chapter you saw them in last. The key three are Liu Bei, Cao Cao, and Sun Jian, since they are the one's that found Shu, Wei, and Wu (sort of) respectively. Everyone else you'll learn as you go along.

Also, yeah, Sun Jian is supposedly related to Sun Tzu.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 10:46:51 am »

Sun-Sword is my fav

edit: On the other hand, Liu Bei starts in the Dong province
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:53:08 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 08:38:55 am »

Honestly those Diplomacy and Spy videos have probably convinced me to buy this.

Also I Cao Cao really pronounced that way? I had guessed it was like Kao Kao. I am dissapoint.
it's not pronounced like that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 09:00:24 am »

If you're italian it's pronounced chiao chiao
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 09:18:52 am »

It'sa me ciao ciao?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 11:13:06 am »

The funny part is that a lot of the in game voicework seems to do it right. Like the troops chanting and stuff.

In the Cao Cao trailer, the troops say it right at the beginning when they're chanting.

You can also watch the superb, and absolutely free 2010 drama. Should be this one: 【Drama】Three Kingdoms (2010) English Subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL33A390995E9A7F00

It'll have all the correct pronunciation.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 03:38:12 pm »

You can also watch the superb, and absolutely free 2010 drama. Should be this one: 【Drama】Three Kingdoms (2010) English Subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL33A390995E9A7F00
I've started watching this today and damn it is really good.

But what I came to post is that there's a new video on Heroes & Guanxi. And I like what I see.

EDIT: I was kind of on the fence about this game, but early access stuff is leaving me hopeful about it. Not going to pre-order (because fuck that), but might grab it in the first week if the launch if smooth enough.

EDIT 2: Here's an impressions video by youtuber PartyElite so you have some info not curated by CA.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:13:37 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 08:30:58 pm »

Whoa, he improved his pronunciations of the names. Well done to the guy in that video, he bettered himself. It's pretty good now.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2019, 04:28:29 am »

There's quite a few videos recently, here's two more that I've watched. Here's a video by Invicta which shows several campaign mechanics, the research tree as well as some battles including a siege and an attack on an iron mine.

There's also this one that I recommend watching. Done by a channel called Angory Tom, the two players take a... different approach to the campaign which is enjoyable to watch.

Invicta's video didn't really impress me with the visuals but, from the second video, it seems like Invicta's playing at low graphics making everything look flat, burry and bland. The visuals look much better in other videos. Some people have been saying the U.I. is a bit cluttered and I maybe agree though there's so many new mechanics I'd have to spend time in person learning what everything is for before really being able to tell.

Combat seems to be quite fast, and heroes are very powerful. Maybe too much so as people are using them very offensively. Early game battles seem to involve mostly sending your heroes to duel, defeating the enemy general then watching the rest of their army flee. Though this apparently is harder to do as armies move beyond militia a get higher stats and moral.

One little detail I like a lot is the flags units carry are sometimes left sticking in the ground when the unit is killed. A nice detail that makes battle locations stand out more.

Sieges work much the same as previous Total War games. Units have grappling hooks to scale walls though you can also build battering rams, siege towers, or even sappers to bring down walls. Something that I've kind of missed from Rome 1.
The A.I. seems to also act a bit better during sieges, retreating to the central square when you breach the walls to defend from there. Apparently the enemy heroes move there as well when you take the walls.

Armies have supplies now, so you need to restock food in your territory or take it from enemy armies if you want to venture beyond your borders for long periods of time.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2019, 04:37:57 am »

There is also a blog post about Zheng Jiang on the Total War website.
It goes into her motivations, playstyle, starting location and other such things.

If I remember correctly, she was a bandit leader in the original texts, and all she got was one line mentioning her ;vc

She is beyond minor character, but I guess it's good for variety?
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 08:30:47 am »

Combat seems to be quite fast, and heroes are very powerful. Maybe too much so as people are using them very offensively. Early game battles seem to involve mostly sending your heroes to duel, defeating the enemy general then watching the rest of their army flee. Though this apparently is harder to do as armies move beyond militia a get higher stats and moral.
Supposedly the demo was tweaked to be faster so that press people who are not good at Total War could still get a feel for the game. Supposedly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6