Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Total War: Three Kingdoms - Grand Scale Romantic Historical Battles.  (Read 11837 times)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms - Grand Scale Romantic Wuxia Battles.
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2019, 10:59:31 am »

Tom and Ben mentioned they were playing in "Romance" mode, hence heros and generals being really powerful. And they have experience playing total war anyway and usually make up their own goals rather than follow preset ones.

////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2019, 11:48:00 pm »

Combat seems to be quite fast, and heroes are very powerful. Maybe too much so as people are using them very offensively. Early game battles seem to involve mostly sending your heroes to duel, defeating the enemy general then watching the rest of their army flee. Though this apparently is harder to do as armies move beyond militia a get higher stats and moral.
Supposedly the demo was tweaked to be faster so that press people who are not good at Total War could still get a feel for the game. Supposedly.
I remember someone said they went straight to legendary but apparently it didn't matter because difficulty is locked to normal for the press events and demo.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 01:11:25 am »

Combat seems to be quite fast, and heroes are very powerful. Maybe too much so as people are using them very offensively. Early game battles seem to involve mostly sending your heroes to duel, defeating the enemy general then watching the rest of their army flee. Though this apparently is harder to do as armies move beyond militia a get higher stats and moral.
That is very much like how war works in the book.
"We have twice the number of troops than our enemy but our general lost the prebattle duel so lets call this a defeat and go home."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2019, 10:55:32 am »

too much so as people are using them very offensively

well that's just total war, I remember doing stacks full of generals in rome 1 and just charging at everyone.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2019, 06:30:47 pm »

Achtually ROTK is not Wuxia, that'd be like saying a movie on the war of seccession is a western. With that said I would pay real good money for a good wuxia game. I hope scroll of Taiwu gets translated to english soon.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2019, 09:28:26 pm »

too much so as people are using them very offensively

well that's just total war, I remember doing stacks full of generals in rome 1 and just charging at everyone.

Ah, yes. I remember doing something similar to hold off the mongols by charging their generals with mines, the morale drops causing them all to flee.

The big damn heroes thing is fun to watch and certainly highlighted more by the early stages of the campaign people are playing. Perhaps, as was suggested by Indypride, a future hands on should give people a campaign that's several turns in to get a different feel for combat and diplomacy.

Achtually ROTK is not Wuxia, that'd be like saying a movie on the war of seccession is a western. With that said I would pay real good money for a good wuxia game. I hope scroll of Taiwu gets translated to english soon.

I thought it would be similar enough but I'll change it to something else in that case. The only Wuxia game I really know about is "Legend of Wulin Heroes", though I don't know if it's got an english translation.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2019, 10:27:40 pm »

I thought it would be similar enough but I'll change it to something else in that case. The only Wuxia game I really know about is "Legend of Wulin Heroes", though I don't know if it's got an english translation.

there is the mmo fighty game age of wushu that isnt too bad actually... http://www.ageofwushu.com/

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms - Grand Scale Romantic Historical Battles.
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2019, 10:46:35 pm »

Total War games being as they are... arn't generals super easy to kill?  Even in romance mode, generals dueling each other to the death.
Or are they doing things differently here?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 12:31:53 am »

It looks like they're going for a Warhammer-esque level of power on the Romance mode generals. Sure, in the historical games (and mode) they're just another guy, and thus die easily, but Romance mode is leaning towards the one man vs an army dynasty warriors style.

The historical/romance split seems to be a classical TW/Warhammer TW style split, to me.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 08:56:52 am »

Even in romance mode, generals dueling each other to the death.
Sort of. Apparently if a hero survives long enough in a duel, you can pull them out without a morale loss.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 10:56:10 am »

Even in romance mode, generals dueling each other to the death.
Sort of. Apparently if a hero survives long enough in a duel, you can pull them out without a morale loss.

The duels themselves seem to have more about them than just sending your hero to attack the enemy hero. One of the videos has a battle where the enemy hero refused to agree to a duel until the battle had gone on for a while as a way of proving the duel was worth the enemy hero's time. Maybe this is related to your heroes level in relation to the enemies or perhaps it's a quirk of that particular character.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:15:34 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 11:02:07 am »

I refuse to duel you until you're already worn and tired!
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 02:17:20 pm »

Apparnetly you can also use other characters to buff your own duelist. It's not cheating, it's cheering!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 06:08:40 pm »

Three Kingdoms will have Bards...?

That's it, I'm sold
Love, scriver~

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6