Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any advice on finding a way out of a starter fort?  (Read 2129 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Any advice on finding a way out of a starter fort?
« on: June 09, 2018, 12:43:14 pm »

I started a new adventure game about 50 minutes ago. I started in a Dwarf Fortress, I still cannot find my way outside. The place is so incredibly populated it takes 2 seconds to move one spot, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll run out of water/food before I find my way out. Can't seem to fast travel out..

Any advice for finding your way out of these places?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 02:55:01 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice on finding a way out of a starter fort?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 06:54:28 pm »

If you see sound indicators on the other side of a wall, that's where you want to make your way to. Once you find the main meeting area, you should be able to find a ramp upwards somewhere nearby.

Getting lost in the bedroom hallways is really annoying.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 07:05:15 pm »

I believe the generation of underground fortresses is bugged. There may not be a way out.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 10:01:50 pm »

Use DFHack gui/gm-editor to move your "pos" upwards in increments of 2. That's what I always do. I hate putzing around in fortresses.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 10:30:15 pm »

If you've got DFHack, you can just reveal to make things easier. Logically, your adventurer should have some idea of the layout of the fort he lives in.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

SabbaticGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • help im stuck in a aquif-blublubublbulubl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 10:42:47 pm »

This tutorial helped me out a lot if you don't want to just hack your way out of a fort (either literally with an axe or not).
hehe i became a girl

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 12:06:58 am »

For this reason, I always spawn in hillocks or hamlets. Hugging the nearest wall and following that until you reach the ramp is what ive done. Otherwise, recognizing certain features of fortresses helps. Hallways with many doors can be walked through - you dont need to check every bedroom, etc. Its annoying nonetheless since you spend a long time of your adventure trying to get out and then immediately drown in a river.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:35:38 pm »

I just started in a 4x4 room packed to the brim with dwarves, with no exit, and nothing in the z levels above or below. It's kind of discouraging considering I just came back from a hiatus of about a year or so.  :(
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 04:21:34 pm »

I just started in a 4x4 room packed to the brim with dwarves, with no exit, and nothing in the z levels above or below. It's kind of discouraging considering I just came back from a hiatus of about a year or so.  :(
Can you post a save of that please? Never heard of anything like that before. Don't be discouraged, you've come across something incredibly rare. Just try again (after one last look around for a hatch).

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 07:31:28 am »

Usually you need to get to a public room where a staircase is likely to be, climb as high as possible and then fast travel and look for enterance, if there is no staircase, you got a problem