Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MDF on Windows XP  (Read 1814 times)

Late28

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
MDF on Windows XP
« on: June 10, 2018, 03:53:57 am »

Does MDF support Windows XP? Whenever I open the MDF Start menu it's all *beeped* up.
Am I doing something wrong, or am I just stupid?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: MDF on Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 05:10:48 am »

It does! Why it should not? But DFhack, which is (probably) a close to vital part of it, does not, for some ridicolous reason.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:41:43 am »

Masterwork is pretty heavily dependent on DFHack, to the point that i think it's fair to say MDF doesn't really support XP either. 

My understanding is that the problem originates in a quirk or bug in the compiler software, and so isn't something the DFHack team can really address.

(edit)  Eh, never mind my comment -- the switch to the new compiler, VS2015, happened after DF44, so i don't think that incompatibility would be relevant for Masterwork.  Also i'm not sure exactly what you mean by the Start menu, if you mean the Masterwork launcher interface that appears before DF opens at all, then that doesn't involve DFHack.  So, basically i have no idea.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:52:56 am by smakemupagus »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:23:06 am »

Masterwork is pretty heavily dependent on DFHack, to the point that i think it's fair to say MDF doesn't really support XP either. 

My understanding is that the problem originates in a quirk or bug in the compiler software, and so isn't something the DFHack team can really address.

(edit)  Eh, never mind my comment -- the switch to the new compiler, VS2015, happened after DF44, so i don't think that incompatibility would be relevant for Masterwork.  Also i'm not sure exactly what you mean by the Start menu, if you mean the Masterwork launcher interface that appears before DF opens at all, then that doesn't involve DFHack.  So, basically i have no idea.

The compiler switch actually happened in 0.43.04-0.43.05 (DFHack wasn't released for 0.43.04), because that's when Toady upgraded his compiler to work on 64-bit DF, and DFHack's compiler has to match exactly. Other than that, this is exactly why DFHack doesn't work on XP.

Edit: just realized one of my old comments about it had the wrong version (0.44.04), so maybe that was it.

Now, the MDF GUI isn't built with Visual Studio (at least not the C++ compiler) as far as I know, so I don't think that would be affected. Other issues could keep it from working on XP, though.

It does! Why it should not? But DFhack, which is (probably) a close to vital part of it, does not, for some ridicolous reason.
Windows XP was released in 2001. Support was dropped in 2014. There is an issue with the Visual Studio 2015 compiler (which we have to use) that prevents DFHack from working on XP. That's not a "ridiculous reason" in my book.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:31:29 am by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.