Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legacy 32-bit version not a valid win32 application?  (Read 1437 times)

Spider Gilgamesh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Legacy 32-bit version not a valid win32 application?
« on: June 10, 2018, 09:48:10 am »

Has anybody found a fix for this?  I'm running a Latitude D520 with XP SP3, and I just prefer the look of the fullscreen legacy version.  I can't seem to get the SDL version to mimic the MS-Dos look of it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Legacy 32-bit version not a valid win32 application?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 11:37:25 am »

If the "Legacy" version doesn't work, use the "SDL" version instead - the only differences are how the graphics code works underneath, and they should otherwise look exactly the same. Plus, only the SDL version works with DFHack.

If neither the Legacy nor SDL versions work, then either play an older version of Dwarf Fortress or get a newer operating system - Windows XP has been out of support for over 4 years, so you've had plenty of time to upgrade.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 12:21:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Windows XP will outlive us all.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Spider Gilgamesh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 02:31:34 pm »

The laptop runs best with XP and isn't allowed to connect to the internet as a result.  SDL works just fine.  They look identical windowed, but in fullscreen the SDL retains it's text size, whereas legacy stretches the font out like dos does when you have the display set to 80x25.  I can't seem to find an option in SDL to make it only display 80x25 in fullscreen and get the stretch, and the custom fonts only change the menu fonts, not the actual game window.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 06:47:13 pm »

I can't seem to find an option in SDL to make it only display 80x25 in fullscreen and get the stretch
Did you try setting "[BLACK_SPACE:NO]"? Judging from its description, it should do exactly what you want. If that doesn't work, you might try enlarging your tileset manually.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:50:28 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Spider Gilgamesh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 02:38:12 pm »

I did try the black space option and it had no effect.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 04:47:28 pm »

Force the resolution:
Code: [Select]
Full screen info.  The 0s below mean that the game will choose a resolution for you, but you can set it yourself as well.

[FULLSCREENX:800]
[FULLSCREENY:600]
[FULLFONT:curses_800x600.png]

Spider Gilgamesh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 09:48:24 am »

So the best I can get is to use an 8x16 tileset.  I'll have to modify it so they have their beards, but I've almost got the nice MS-Dos looking stretch I want.  Alternatively I can use DF 31.12, as that is the latest 32-bit legacy version that actually runs on that machine.

Final question:  Does anyone have experience running the 32-bit legacy version on 32-bit windows vista/7?  Not really an option for my laptop, but I'm curious to know if it's just XP it doesn't like or if there was a problem actually making it accept 32-bit architecture.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 04:11:11 pm »

I tested df_44_10_legacy32 on the VM I have:
  • XP SP3 32bits: same error as you
  • Vista SP2 64bits: run correctly
  • ReactOS 0.4.8 (in case you like alpha OS with no multi-core support): fail to switch to fullscreen then crash (SDL version works).

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 04:58:18 pm »

df_44_10_legacy32 runs on Vista 32bit here. I rather prefer XP for a retro OS myself.
Klok the Kloker !