Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dismount that Dinosaur! (August 6th)  (Read 1146 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dismount that Dinosaur! (August 6th)
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 02:46:29 pm »

Your starting character diversity does seem to be a step down from before. A fire-associated Dreadnaught Dwarf would feel rather unlike a water-associated Dreadnaught human, whereas now it feels like you're mainly your race, with small flavorings from your secret tech.

But on the other hand, that's just what I got out of my few minutes of trying it out this morning. Hopefully there's choices during the game to diversify a little bit more.

The map system seems very good! I like the way worlds look and territory seems to make sense.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:49:37 pm by PTTG?? »
Space 'Murrica! United States of Space! (Stellaris Democratic Succession)

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dismount that Dinosaur! (August 6th)
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 09:45:51 am »

I've now played through a random map and while the starting diversity does seem a little less than before, you end up with far more units, mods, etc, than you can realistically use in one game, so there's some degree of replayability and variety from that. 

For example, I focused on unlocking all of the units from both racial and secret tech (just to see them in action, first game and all), but barely touched the weapons research.  So I'll possibly play that combo again but next time focus on a few core units and go nuts with the weapons research instead.

I'm a little concerned at how easily I won my game - the 3 remaining AIs barely tried to stop me getting my doomsday victory - but I was only on normal difficulty and my previous AoW experience undoubtedly made it easier for me (I've seen people losing units every battle they fought, where I was rarely losing any at all).
Pages: 1 [2]