Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212]

Author Topic: Ultima Ratio Regum (0.8 back in development!)  (Read 319859 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • A big guy, for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum (0.8 back in development!)
« Reply #3165 on: February 24, 2019, 09:08:50 pm »

Aww, damn. That's kind of depressing. If you ever have to completely stop working on the game, or if it becomes completed, will you ever open source it so that the community can add what was never able to be finished?
Bay12: Where a discussion about a man's anus manage to be Lovecraftian.
you sir, deserve a medal. this is the dawn of a new age of child trauma.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: February 25, 2019, 04:04:07 am »

Firstly, that's incredibly kind of you :). Re: future releases, I'm not sure - if I do, they will be SMALL. Like, say, 0.9 would be just adding graphics for weapons, armour, plants and a few other things, and some more conversation options, say. Nothing more. Then if there was a 0.10 it would be equally small. I haven't made a decision yet - I just need to get this out first and then take stock! There are also hopefully some good changes going to happen in my life in the next 6 months (fingers crossed) which could, COULD, free up more time.

Glad to hear you're not thinking of abandoning it completely! If you did find time to do future releases, I'd really suggest some sort of...gamifaction of it - even if it was something as straightforward as 'find the 10 secret relics hidden around the world' which you could find through clues in conversations etc. It wouldn't need to even have proper quest giver NPCs or the like, you could just have them as an 'achievements' screen (visit the 5 temples of Ghof, find the 10 secret relics, make contact with the Ghofona tribe...) which would get ticked off once you'd achieved them.

As it looks from my perspective, you obviously had all sorts of incredible (and ambitious!) plans a few years back, and at the time it made a lot of sense to concentrate on the world building and the mechanics as you were planning pretty much the most detailed sim ever created, and so there was no point in doing 'quests' and the like because of all the potential for natural, interlocking mechanics and the like. However, as that's no longer really on the table in the same way (which is completely understandable) then I'd hate to see it fizzle away due to it not really having any goals/things for the player to do - I think this is a real risk because as much as people will enjoy wandering around the world, it's often difficult to really get absorbed without any sort of purpose (regardless of how basic that purpose is).

Regardless, can't wait for 0.8!
I would argue that this isn't necessary. There's enough of a fanbase (such as "the two of us and that guy in the corner" can be called a fanbase ;) ) that are happy to play follow-the-devblog for decades to come. The plan is there on the page, we know an actual gamey game will occur eventually if progress continues. The devblog shows that something is happening and the occasional release featuring more stuff helps to remind us that we're not crazy (not entirely, anyway). Mark is a visibly active person on the Internet, not some faceless corporation promising Half-Life 3.

I follow Aurora 4X, Unreal World, Dwarf Fortress and URR. In some ways it's much easier to be invested for the long-term when updates are years apart.

So, please do as you think best, Mark (and let us know if you decide to throw in the towel, of course). But know that some of us don't need to be hooked on "gameability". We've already got one madman providing that for us in Toadyone.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: February 25, 2019, 04:29:34 am »

I would argue that this isn't necessary. There's enough of a fanbase (such as "the two of us and that guy in the corner" can be called a fanbase ;) ) that are happy to play follow-the-devblog for decades to come. The plan is there on the page, we know an actual gamey game will occur eventually if progress continues. The devblog shows that something is happening and the occasional release featuring more stuff helps to remind us that we're not crazy (not entirely, anyway). Mark is a visibly active person on the Internet, not some faceless corporation promising Half-Life 3.

I follow Aurora 4X, Unreal World, Dwarf Fortress and URR. In some ways it's much easier to be invested for the long-term when updates are years apart.

So, please do as you think best, Mark (and let us know if you decide to throw in the towel, of course). But know that some of us don't need to be hooked on "gameability". We've already got one madman providing that for us in Toadyone.

I agree that's the case if Mark is planning to continue development (even if in the long term) - however, if he's going to pretty much finish up (which it's unfortunately sounding like) and there won't be an actual gamey game at the end of it, then I'd encourage something to wrap it all together.

This is mainly because otherwise URR will be relegated to 'the game that almost was', rather than something that's a finished game. I'd imagine a finished product would be more helpful to Mark (in terms of him having a fully released game under his belt) and get the game a wider player base which is always good for everyone. Other than the DF crowd, I feel most of the gaming community would say 'this is a fantastic world but...what do I do?'.

Obviously if Mark ever wanted to come back to it, he could rip out any quest stuff he didn't like or incorporate it into some sort of 'explorers guild' without too much trouble.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3168 on: February 25, 2019, 06:23:34 am »

I think the most fulfilling achievements are the ones that affect the world. Going down in history for killing a monster, fighting for territory, upgrading or destroying structures, or having my name and achievement written down in public. Dwarf Fortress's death and retirement mechanics are really fascinating, inspired by Angband tombstones. Being a founder of something and coming back to see it still there is also really cool. In Dwarf Fortress I made families of endangered species and retired them in my forts.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: February 25, 2019, 09:10:07 am »

I think the most fulfilling achievements are the ones that affect the world. Going down in history for killing a monster, fighting for territory, upgrading or destroying structures, or having my name and achievement written down in public. Dwarf Fortress's death and retirement mechanics are really fascinating, inspired by Angband tombstones. Being a founder of something and coming back to see it still there is also really cool. In Dwarf Fortress I made families of endangered species and retired them in my forts.

Certainly agree and all of those would be good, but quite a lot of work to implement I imagine. I feel that a quick list of world 'achievements' (which could just be going to all the xyz's or picking up x of y) that you could tick off would be enough to give those that want a bit of guidance whilst they enjoy the fantastic world that's been created, whilst also being easy enough to implement.

It all boils down to how much time/willpower Mark has left to continue URR - a decent trade system would be just as good, as would all sorts of adventure-y things which would give the game focus, but my main fear is that such a fantastic achievement as URR already is gets lost to the realms of 'unfinished games' just because it didn't have anything structured for the player to do, and I feel that's what the wider gaming community will see it as. 

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:13:31 am by Retropunch »
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChrisLeJohn

• Bay Watcher
  • For your health
    • View Profile
    • AO
« Reply #3170 on: February 26, 2019, 03:17:13 am »

In Dwarf Fortress I made families of endangered species and retired them in my forts.

#goals

Good luck on URR, been keeping up for a while!
I just learned how to spell escargot.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: February 26, 2019, 06:05:25 am »

I appreciate the sense of exasperation that Wof As Pofonma felt as a stranger walked up to him and greeted him ceaselessly
Quote from: LW
One of these days we will succeed in deporting all Scandinavians back to Somalia
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212]