Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Attribute planner for modded creatures

(1/1)

Tubercular Ox:
So you've given your creature enhanced spatial and kinesthetic sense, but dinged their agility and endurance.  What skills are they actually good at?  Make a copy of this spreadsheet and find out, sort of.

The fatal flaw of this spreadsheet is that it assumes every attribute that contributes to a skill contributes equally to that skill.  Additional flaws include assuming the wiki is right, and that there is nothing of interest the wiki does not cover, but if you will allow me to invoke the crazy statistics behind a Fermi estimate I'll claim they're still interesting numbers to look at.

Across the top are your creature's attributes.  The sheet defaults to dwarven stats.  The dropdowns have the average value for min, ---, --, -, neutral, +, ++. +++, and max.  Given the almost certainly false assumptions behind the sheet, granularity greater than that would probably instill false confidence.

The result is on the same 1000 point scale as the original attributes, and can be described as an average of the stats involved, but it's a geometric average. I used a geometric average because the stats were described as percentages.  When I see a list of percentages my instinct is to multiply them, not sum them, so I did.  Then I normalized so that being 25% better in all of three attributes displays you as being 25% better overall, not 1.95x better.

Be careful about rearranging the first or last column in the range!  It breaks the sheet despite my attempts to tell Google not to change the ranges in the formulae.

I was hoping to have some fun facts about dwarves to share, but they're surprisingly sane and adhere closely to their cliches.  They're good at crafting and poor at farmwork, for example.  The only surprises are their high skill with ranged weapons and ambusher and their teeny, tiny deficit with metalwork when compared to other materials.  Oh, and they're better at lying than at detecting lies.

fishboyliam:
Two questions;
1. What's with all the 1-s? Does that just state if it affects the skill?
2. Why are those stats at the end in red?

Tubercular Ox:

--- Quote from: fishboyliam on June 14, 2018, 03:07:10 pm ---Two questions;
1. What's with all the 1-s? Does that just state if it affects the skill?
2. Why are those stats at the end in red?

--- End quote ---

1. Yes, the 1's state that the attribute in that column affects the skill in that row.
2. The red attributes are physical.  The uncolored attributes are mental.  The three attributes at the end, Recuperation, Disease Resistance, and Musicality, have no wiki-documented effect on any skill.  However, Recuperation is believed to have an effect on healing rate, which is not a skill, and Musicality must affect performance skills, but they weren't in the wiki so I didn't include them.

Those questions neatly summarize some of the flaws of this sheet.  The chart is wiki-dependent, everything is '1', even though someattribute may not be as important as someotherattribute, and the chart shows skills, but not all uses of an attribute.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version