Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stress  (Read 2686 times)

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
Stress
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:11:34 pm »

Is there any way to remove "over the long term urist had been under a lot of stress" ? does it go away?

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
Re: Stress
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:44:45 pm »

It will go away if their experiences improve, its not a permanent syndrome like depression but they are susceptible to getting one. Its only the early stage of stress though, if it continues they become 'haggard' and if more become 'harrowed' but they can still fully recover if they don't get syndromes like melancholy or go raving mad. Description will mention if they are particularly vulnerable or resistant to "effects of stress".

Arrange anything their description says they miss or like. eg. Get them crafting items they like, or put an expensive lever in their room, or some furniture they like. Take them off hauling duties. Pasture an animal they like in their room (but one that cant die of hunger). See if they enjoy being a tavern keeper or performer or scholar or full time soldier...
Klok the Kloker !

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:03:57 pm »

Keep them away from sapient corpses. Seeing the corpses of anything that can think, dwarf, goblin, troglodyte it doesn't matter will cause significant stress. Stress that will be linked to traumatic memories which will reoccur and create more stress. Also witnessing the death of a sapient can cause even worse thoughts in addition to seeing the fresh corpse. Stress from death and corpses is severe, reoccurring and cumulative, avoid it as much as possible.

Limit how much violence your dwarves can see. Dispose of corpses quickly, burying citizens and destroying everything else. Have only your most hardened and/or emotionally stable dwarves haul and dump such corpses, they'll make good candidates for your military as well.

If you need to dispose of prisoners do so in a way that it out of sight of your dwarves and destroys the body. I've been throwing mine into a small but deep fire pit covered with floor hatches. The hatches prevent the dwarves seeing the prisoners die in the fire but you could just as easily use magma or an atom smasher.

Eventually, if you can get your dwarves through the stress of exposure they will develop a tolerance for it. Military training has been said to speed this process but I can't personally confirm.

Edit: Oh also if you're literally just looking for a way to remove stress Dfhack has the command "remove-stress" which will do the job for an individual dwarf.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:07:00 pm by Hiarhu »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:17:04 pm »

I actually like when DF is hard like this. It was kinda easy before.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 01:32:22 am »

I enjoy challenge but I like to know what is going on. Thanks for the replies. I might try to train my dwarves up. I so ready for the stress rebalancing. It doesn't make any sense like a hammerlird is like "OMG dead goblins nooo terrifying!!!" Like, um what? That's your job dude. Those turds came to kill you.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 01:33:26 am »

Keep them away from sapient corpses. Seeing the corpses of anything that can think, dwarf, goblin, troglodyte it doesn't matter will cause significant stress. Stress that will be linked to traumatic memories which will reoccur and create more stress. Also witnessing the death of a sapient can cause even worse thoughts in addition to seeing the fresh corpse. Stress from death and corpses is severe, reoccurring and cumulative, avoid it as much as possible.

Limit how much violence your dwarves can see. Dispose of corpses quickly, burying citizens and destroying everything else. Have only your most hardened and/or emotionally stable dwarves haul and dump such corpses, they'll make good candidates for your military as well.

If you need to dispose of prisoners do so in a way that it out of sight of your dwarves and destroys the body. I've been throwing mine into a small but deep fire pit covered with floor hatches. The hatches prevent the dwarves seeing the prisoners die in the fire but you could just as easily use magma or an atom smasher.

Eventually, if you can get your dwarves through the stress of exposure they will develop a tolerance for it. Military training has been said to speed this process but I can't personally confirm.

Edit: Oh also if you're literally just looking for a way to remove stress Dfhack has the command "remove-stress" which will do the job for an individual dwarf.
the df-hack measure is crucial, generally I don't like using it but will for balancing until it's fixed

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 01:42:19 pm »

I had the same problem.

I got a dwarf woman with 32k Stress Level slipping into depression and I'm still not sure why she built up so much at all. The two other stressed dwarves had 16k and 400 Stress.

I only play for building stuff without invasions, so it was obviously not so easy to get the first one some "good fight", but I thought maybe she would enjoy hunting. Lead to another 1k of Stress because she felt Terror.

I wouldn't mind having a less easy system, but I would like to be able to understand it and especially be able to actually do something about it.
The first one also was constantly sad for being away from loved ones - for gods sake, then why did you leave your husband behind ?
She has two children who immigrated with her, but would it help putting them together in a burrow for example ?

I really would love how to un-stress dwarves ...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 10:20:21 pm »

The first one also was constantly sad for being away from loved ones - for gods sake, then why did you leave your husband behind ?
Are they being held prisoner somewhere?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 04:47:33 am »

Is there a way to find out ?

I assumed he's at the mountainhome, but I'm not sure.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 05:17:28 am »

Type open-legends in DFHack and find him. If you don't have DFHack, you should, it's useful.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 08:00:31 am »

Type open-legends in DFHack and find him. If you don't have DFHack, you should, it's useful.

If you don't have DF hack, you can always make a copy of the save, retire (or abandon) the fort in the copy, and look for him in there

Malkyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 01:44:13 pm »

No joke.  Holy crow, it is hard to clean up after undead sieges, now!  I had a perfectly functioning fort go into a depression death-spiral, just from trying to tidy up the mangled guests, after the zombie rabble cleared out.