Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trials of Ascension: Open Stress Test! (Permadeath MMO)  (Read 1993 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Trials of Ascension: Open Stress Test! (Permadeath MMO)
« on: June 12, 2018, 12:20:48 am »

Trials of Ascension

Well, it purports to be a lot of things. It's an MMO, with permanent character death (after you use 99 lives, is the latest plan). A plan for it has existed in one form or another since 2003 (yes, really). Players will explore a large open world with a lot of ambitious and interesting ideas. There will be settlements, a crafting system where you have a very small chance of learning knowledge (an "Innovation) which you can then spread to other players, bizarre playable races such as a PVP-oriented race of giant spiders, dynamic ecosystems which GM's can modify live, and more. There's even plans for a magic system where you can only learn spells by slaying powerful monsters. It's best you read about it on their website, they go into great detail on every subject they have planned and their enthusiasm is infectious.

The project has seen three - Bay12 - threads, a failed kickstarter, another kickstarter, (but it takes more than that to stop them!) and now it's finally here in its earliest playable form, a stress test. I have no idea if this game can reach its ambitious goals, but I'm sure along for the ride. I don't think most of the features are implemented yet, but now's the time to find out.

June 16th Stress Test:
NOTE: As this is an open invite you WILL be accepted into this one time event (assuming you have successfully followed the above instructions).  We do not know the response we will get so we may or may not have room for everyone.  The room we do have will be filled in a first-come, first-serve basis.  That is to say, when we open the server(s) those that join first are in.

1: Make a forum account
2: Complete a survey
3: Sign their NDA (yes really, even though they're letting as many people in as possible)
4: Join their Discord channel

Do that and you're in.

If you want to discuss the many details of the game, go ahead, though most of the systems are likely to change still, I'd expect. Hopefully we'll know a lot more about what the game actually looks like once the test starts.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trials of Ascension: Open Stress Test! (Permadeath MMO)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 05:13:03 am »

"The event will take place on June 16th at 9am Pacific Time / 12pm Eastern Time and last for roughly three hours"
"Nor does participation in the ToA: Exile Alpha Stress Testing guarantee access to future testing or testing events"
"A link to the download will be made available an hour prior to the event through our forums"

Worth to point all that out.
You got 3 hours only to play, you also got 1 hour only before to download the game. How big is the game to DL?

No offense intended, but hardly seems worth going through that check list/signing NDA's etc without a good day or two to play imo.   8)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 12:04:09 pm »

I dont see the value on going into a game whose main selling feature is that you will either get locked out of it, or the game will get less and less interesting as less people play.

I daresay this is not a "real" game as much as a novelty project... the gaming equivalent of those people who dump random paint in a canvas and put it for sale in order to "prove something"
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:49:37 pm »

Eh, I think some of the features could interact in interesting ways, like having to pass on your character's knowledge before dying. And most MMO's are more interesting with more players.

But, you're right that this game is made by crazy people. I never thought we'd see a playable version, which is why I'm so curious. However it has occurred to me that the exact time of the test is when I'm getting on a plane anyway, and only lasting 3 hours I won't get to check it out. :(
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 01:12:36 pm »

You can't roll a new character after running out of lives? How exactly are they planning to make money? By selling the opportunity to roll a new character?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 04:45:51 pm »

Wait so it's actual permadeath not just making a new character and starting over permadeath?
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:49:05 am »

#weak
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 09:52:11 pm »

Wait so it's actual permadeath not just making a new character and starting over permadeath?

Unless it's changed since their Kickstarter, no, you can re-roll when a character burns through their hundred lives; they were pretty clear that was how it would work.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 01:20:34 pm »

If you want to discuss the many details of the game, go ahead
Geez, man, you just signed an NDA saying you would not do exactly that.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 02:30:17 pm »

Well, considering there's an enormous amount of writing on the game features which is publicly available all over their website... uh, no? The NDA pertains to details of the test itself.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 04:27:59 pm »

100 lives seems kind of arbitrary. You still completely kill PvP for anything except characters built for it and griefers, as nobody wants to lose the lives on their main character. And it opens a huge possibility of griefing, especially with the respawn mechanics putting you nearby where you died. I foresee groups of players who roll characters, train them to competence, and roam around killing everyone repeatedly just for shits and giggles. Because they know they're making those people lose lives on their main characters, whereas their characters are throwaways. Same kind of stuff people do in games like Eve, going after big ships even if they have no cargo in high security space with a bunch of throwaway ships even though they know they'll be killed by the system defense just because they know it hurts the other player.

Yet it's a high enough number that it doesn't really feel like permadeath until your lives start getting low, at which point people will probably just give up on the character because why put time in a character who is almost permanently dead?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 08:53:07 am »

It's nice that you aren't, like, banned from making new characters after yours dies permanently.

However, if your character is, at some point, going to permanently die and you'll have to start over, the game would have to be incredibly compelling for it to be even worth getting invested in it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MasterCyria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 10:27:54 am »

For a game that took $90,000 from their supporters in 2014 to not make the MMO the promised and had a bunch of other lies / scam like qualities, I'm surprised that they keep receiving support.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 07:36:16 pm »

It's nice that you aren't, like, banned from making new characters after yours dies permanently.

However, if your character is, at some point, going to permanently die and you'll have to start over, the game would have to be incredibly compelling for it to be even worth getting invested in it.

I've got some bad news for you....
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 07:43:34 pm »

So... it's described as "permadeath" but it isn't actually permadeath at all? Weak.

I wonder if this is the same pipe dream of a game I remember getting all excited about years ago, just under a different name. Though I think that one was going to be RP-enforced.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.