Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Learning how to manage 50+ dwarves?  (Read 2671 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Learning how to manage 50+ dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 07:14:33 am »

Though I still haven't finished the king's rooms. Hmm. Maybe just a whole lot bigger, with more gold-bar walls. Gotta be quicker than trying to carry those gold statues up from the basement. I should really mod gold so it's not so plentiful for my next world gen, like, cluster-small appearing in quartz veins or cluster-1 in alluvial. Hmm.

A single masterwork golden mechanism (in the form of a lever) will make any room a royal room. Just a tip to people who like work orders and dislike wasting time on decorating.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 09:27:41 am »

Ah, right, that'd be a mechanic job at the forge, so there should be a high skill one somewhere already. Mine's probably busy being a swordmaster or something, don't think I've been making enough mechanical stuff to keep him busy with the orders.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 09:41:26 am »

Mechanism via work orders are actually made at the Mechanic's Workshop. I believe this may be a bug, since the Forge doesn't have this order, even for weapon grade mechanisms. This is good though for making use of nickel, and otherwise occupying the Mechanic's Workshop once there's enough rock mechanisms around.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 01:24:45 pm »

I wouldn't stress for it. I mean, productive and micro-managed fort is much less important after few years, since you actually have dwarfpower to spend. After you have 50+ dwarves, you can start doing vanity projects and basically whatever you like - the fort should be pretty self-sustaining at that point.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 02:21:40 pm »

Wow, you guys have very different requirements for ordering your Dwarves.

I assess each Dwarf the moment they enter the map. Those with only positive or neutral physical traits become warriors - no exceptions. Everyone else is assessed for their highest useful craft and assigned to it, where they will remain for the rest of their natural lives. Once a Dwarf is inducted into the colony, I never touch them again, unless something has gone wrong. It makes managing any number of dwarves a cinch, since they will find jobs to perform and beds to sleep in by themselves, according to the Glorious and Most Serene Bureaucratic Systems of the Colony (May It Eclipse the Capital!).

I still don't like having forts of more than 80-100 though. The GMSBSC (MIEC!) has jobs and room for approximately 80 dwarves, and I can't be bothered to scale it up.

This is more or less what I do.  I nickname them after processing them so I don't accidentally miss one, but generally by setting up their labors when they arrive, I don't have to worry too much about it afterward.  Sometimes I'll give them custom profession titles too, especially if what I want them to do does not match the title they have already, or if I want to be more specific.

I really only micromanage in the beginning with the starting few, since you can't have a different dwarf for every specific task and have to have some overlap.  After that, using the manager is about all I need to do.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 01:35:08 pm »

I don't pay too much attention to micromanagement until I reach the Sims stage of the fort. Custom statues, custom furniture according to the person's tastes...

When there's too many idlers I recruit Smoothsquads and make them polish every corridor in the fort. Never used Therapist
Pages: 1 [2]