Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Learning how to manage 50+ dwarves?

<< < (2/5) > >>

anewaname:
I organize using DT, by putting all my dwarfs into three types of squads: military, crafters, and civ-laborers.Spoiler (click to show/hide)The military squads:
- have a barracks to 't'rain at, 8/12 months.
- Have the best uniforms.
- have labors that produce no-quality product, such as plant gathering, shearing, milling, web collecting, etc.
The crafter squads:
- have a barracks to 't'rain at, 0/12 months. (They do individual combat drills when there is no job, if they are not lazy).
- have the lousy uniforms (usually bone and leather, with a shield and maybe a wood weapon).
- have labors that produce products with quality levels.
The civ-laborers:
- have no barracks to 't'rain at (hunter/woodcutter/miner jobs will not be completed if these dwarfs put on military uniforms).
- have no uniforms.
- may have other labors of any sort, and often include the broker and medical dwarfs.

So, when migrants arrive, they are sorted into squads using DT's squad grouping. Also, no squads carry food or booze except the primary 'emergency response' teams of military squads. 
Jobs are heavily automated using the job manager, except "it is spring-time, so queue a 's'hear animal (r) job" and "out of logs/ore, designate more". This means if the empty barrel count is too low, another 10 are queued automatically.

For were creatures, it is very important to view the entire combat report (view the were's report) and find all instances where it did non-bruise damage to the muscle (and fat?) layers of a dwarf, because that dwarf will be infected.

Shonai_Dweller:
Try turning off Dwarf Therapist and not micromanaging your dwarves. I understand that a certain type of player goes insane if they can't micromanage, and that's fine. But it can be done and it can be a lot of fun. I play with a pop cap of 250, hasn't effected my state of mind at all. Probably.

SiliconMagician:

--- Quote from: anewaname on June 12, 2018, 09:18:00 pm ---I organize using DT, by putting all my dwarfs into three types of squads: military, crafters, and civ-laborers.Spoiler (click to show/hide)The military squads:
- have a barracks to 't'rain at, 8/12 months.
- Have the best uniforms.
- have labors that produce no-quality product, such as plant gathering, shearing, milling, web collecting, etc.
The crafter squads:
- have a barracks to 't'rain at, 0/12 months. (They do individual combat drills when there is no job, if they are not lazy).
- have the lousy uniforms (usually bone and leather, with a shield and maybe a wood weapon).
- have labors that produce products with quality levels.
The civ-laborers:
- have no barracks to 't'rain at (hunter/woodcutter/miner jobs will not be completed if these dwarfs put on military uniforms).
- have no uniforms.
- may have other labors of any sort, and often include the broker and medical dwarfs.

So, when migrants arrive, they are sorted into squads using DT's squad grouping. Also, no squads carry food or booze except the primary 'emergency response' teams of military squads. 
Jobs are heavily automated using the job manager, except "it is spring-time, so queue a 's'hear animal (r) job" and "out of logs/ore, designate more". This means if the empty barrel count is too low, another 10 are queued automatically.

For were creatures, it is very important to view the entire combat report (view the were's report) and find all instances where it did non-bruise damage to the muscle (and fat?) layers of a dwarf, because that dwarf will be infected.

--- End quote ---

Thank you so much! That is just what I was trying to do. I sat for hours staring at my squad screen trying to figure out how I wanted to do that and you just unlocked it.

Yeah, I learned the hard way about were creatures when a were saladmander came along and left 4 dwarfs writhing on the ground in pain where they were dragged to the hospital where they suffered on the edge of death for a month before suddenly turning into were salamanders and rampaging through the fort slaughtering all before them. It was horrifically "fun".

UPDATE: A civ of filthy human squatters has set up camp inside the ruins of my ancestors! All that knowledge and any artfiacts of my people are now in the hands of humans.. this cannot stand...

scourge728:

--- Quote from: Shonai_Dweller on June 12, 2018, 10:07:41 pm ---Try turning off Dwarf Therapist and not micromanaging your dwarves. I understand that a certain type of player goes insane if they can't micromanage, and that's fine. But it can be done and it can be a lot of fun. I play with a pop cap of 250, hasn't effected my state of mind at all. Probably.

--- End quote ---
And then there's just me, with nearly 400 dwarves and counting, ranging from 5-15 fps somehow, and that's with 369 pets/livestock, 96 other, and 459 dead/missing 

Inarius:
400 dwarves and still 5-15 FPS ! You must have a very good computer :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version