Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Great Bag Problem  (Read 2109 times)

DabblingDwarfOperator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Great Bag Problem
« on: June 24, 2018, 03:51:08 am »

Whenever I buy some bags from a caravan or make some bags myself, I encounter that in a short time they're all filled with seeds and other garbage. I am aware about this "compulsive seed storage bug", but i'm seeking some way to prevent this, because I desperately need empty bags to start a glass industry.
What can you advice?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Bag Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 04:04:54 am »

make more bags until your seed storage plot is out of space.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 04:28:15 am »

I agree with Astrid: Keep churning out bags. Since you buy bags from the caravan, you can also buy thread and cloth/leather. Personally I use all cloth made during the first two years for bag making.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 06:27:16 am »

I always just get about 50 sand bags at embark. They're incredibly cheap. Then, ask the outpost liaison for one of each kind of leather and the caravan will bring one full bin of each. I don't often run out of bags.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:31:16 am »

At some point it stops being a problem, after enough bags are made.

There is a limit on number of seeds produced (in d_init.txt), you may decrease it to help. Also you can periodically order all pits, apple seeds and other unusable seeds to be dumped (and then atom smashed or incinerated). They are all near end of the list of seeds in stocks, usually. This will empty at least some of seed bags.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 02:28:07 pm »

To lower the chaos of bagging seeds, I go with this approach...
Make a 2-tiled barrel-less seed stockpile for each seed-type used in a farm, near that farm.
Make a 30 tile barrel-less seed stockpile elsewhere and set it to allow all seeds except the ones used in the farms.
Make a large sandbag stockpile somewhere.
Build a coffer in the hospital and crank up the gypsum powder allowed.
Make the 20-30 tile empty bag stockpiles near the querns and farmer's workshops.
Then leave them alone and the dwarfs will sort out misplaced seeds and bags.

If you dump seeds to empty some bags, only dump the seeds that you do not expect to gain more of, otherwise you only freed a bag for a short time and used a lot of dwarfs to do that.

Once the above is set up, leaving it alone is the best approach. One bag can hold 500+ plump helmet seeds, so you'll need about 1 bag per seed-type to manage your seeds this way. The individual seed caps will be reached for the unused seeds (peach pits, etc) in the large seed stockpile, then there will be less activity around there (the seed cap will force fast decay).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 10:07:16 pm »

It helps to dump and smash the seeds of plants you can't grow. Put your seed stockpile for all plants except those you can grow next to a smasher pit.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 06:05:24 am »

I always just get about 50 sand bags at embark. They're incredibly cheap. Then, ask the outpost liaison for one of each kind of leather and the caravan will bring one full bin of each. I don't often run out of bags.

*long string of random obscenities because of course that's how asking for Leather would work if you were actually doing it and I hadn't figured that out before now*
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 01:17:56 am »

It also helps to be choosy about the food in your fortress.  Food is so plentiful that there's no reason to have a massive variety around.  If you are foraging for veggies you can also use d->p to gather specific plants rather than gathering everything in an area.  Then make a stockpile for each specific kind of seed and take from a main seed stockpile. This will cause the dwarfs to sort the seeds into the correct bags.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 11:58:39 am »

I remember being able to do that, but I have since forgotten how to dump the contents of a bag. How does that work again?

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 03:41:57 pm »

I remember being able to do that, but I have since forgotten how to dump the contents of a bag. How does that work again?
Why would you want to dump the sand? You need pots. Make them out of glass.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 04:32:25 pm »

Why would you want to dump the sand? You need pots. Make them out of glass.
Look at the item, and enter the content item. Dump mark that item. It's the same logic as for forbidding eggs in nest boxes. Just remember to enter the item inside the container, or you mark the container instead.

If you've got sand on the embark you can easily collect new sand later, or otherwise buy new sand from caravans. It typically takes some time to get organized enough to have dorf power left over for glass making (in particular if you want the magma powered version), while the bag need is more or less immediate.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 07:45:20 pm »

There is a limit on number of seeds produced (in d_init.txt)...

Same init file has options for combining seeds in new bags versus used ones:
[STORE_DIST_ITEM_DECREASE:20]
[STORE_DIST_SEED_COMBINE:1000]