Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about sites associating with your fortress  (Read 3378 times)

bernhari

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question about sites associating with your fortress
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:10:05 pm »

So I just started a new fortress with a nearly dead civilization (no sites but there's still a queen alive). I'm still in my first year yet a new site has been founded nearby and associated with me economically. It's a goblin pit form a different civilization. It was NOT an existing site. It wasn't there when I started this fortress. A goblin civ just founded a site near an almost dead dwarven civ for economic reasons. Did this happen to anyone else ? Does anyone know why it just happened ? Is it a bug ? Should I conquer them once my military is up ?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about sites associating with your fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:15:16 pm »

Yeah, it's a bug. It's an intended future feature for other civ's sites (perhaps not goblins) to link themselves to you, but isn't meant to happen right now except by conquest.

You can actually send your citizens there, which is pretty funny. But you can't send a messenger to get them back. Best just to conquer them in the regular way.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:17:18 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:34:16 pm »

That happened to me as well. I sent one dwarf there not realising he had to be a messenger occupation (I guess?).

What IS the normal way to send messengers and have them do the job correctly?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 11:33:08 pm »

That happened to me as well. I sent one dwarf there not realising he had to be a messenger occupation (I guess?).

What IS the normal way to send messengers and have them do the job correctly?
On the civ (map) screen, in place of normal raiding options, there should be messenger options to send for workers (you won't get this for buggy gobbos though).

Set messengers in the 'l' (locations) screen (like assigning fortress-wide performers).

Banish any citizens to your holdings (or just banish them into the wilds) with preferences - occupations (you know, that menu which causes everyone to go download Therapist...).

With messengers, you should be able to call back any citizens you banished there, call for new citizens from the holding if there's anyone suitable and call back any soldiers you have stationed there (usually after taking a holding by force).

You can't banish nobles (they do the banishing) and banished citizens will take their families with them, so be careful with that.

Another bug is that you can't banish someone if their children are living off-site. It's meant to just be a check to make sure banished citizens don't forget babies that are being carried into battle off-site(!), but it's checking everywhere now, so anyone with kidnapped children (half the population...) won't be able to be banished.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:39:34 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 09:26:39 pm »

I ran into that last problem myself. A weremoose attacked and infected one citizen and I couldn't deal with her through exile. I haven't loaded the save back up since then out of laziness/distraction, but I'm gonna wind up setting the drawbridge up, burrowing her under the edge, and dropping it again.