Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Virustotal results are mildly concerning  (Read 3001 times)

anonymous14z

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Virustotal results are mildly concerning
« on: June 13, 2018, 03:45:52 am »

I'm eager to return to this game, to continue my first half-motivated blunder that was my first attempt 3-5? years ago where I tried the game, but didn't have the motivation to understand it or "work" with the game (quite a repelling fact that needs to be overcome). So I've downloaded the game and ran it through virustotal but on the results page ( https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/663ba977338fc42cd09ee72b8fee70ed866ce7ba6256e73564c35628829a2012/detection ), it shows that some obscure virus detectors "crylance" and "TheHacker" show some positives (which I hope are false). It's likely that all of this is false, if anti-viruses like Macafee and Kapersky and Malwarebytes show no positives it's probably safe, and even if I were to run the game, nothing will happen. But still.

What should I do?

P.S. Some Apologies for being too ambitious with my first post. But I want to get this concern out of the way.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Virustotal results are mildly concerning
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:20:30 am »

There are two positives out of 62. I'm pretty sure it's safe, especially when more mainstream antimalware programs, especially ones like Kaspersky which are renowned for their accuracy, do not detect anything.

This is generally a pretty good site for getting an understanding of how well certain antimalwares are.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:23:06 am »

No one on this forum is gonna tell you it's a virus.

If you're really worried, contact Crylance and TheHacker and ask if they can tell you why they flagged Dwarf Fortress as a virus.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:06:05 am »

Joke's on you, DF is actually a virus. We've been faking that it is a game for 15 years. :P
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

anonymous14z

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:07:58 am »

@George_Chickens Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing -It's probably nothing- Just felt like asking around here. I'm not that serious about this really, if all of the antivirus softewares give this a green-light, I have good reason to simplistically trust it (as the simpleton I am)

@Dutchlings Great point (actually I should have considered) hmm, this place probably has more hive-mindedness than even reddit! (but far more sophistication due to the absence of a personally despised "voting" system). But I don't think this is too serious of a problem (I hope), just felt like asking around. I won't escalate my efforts that much, I don't want to contact "TheHacker" and "Crylance" I'm quite lazy.

@KittyTac It's moments like this, where I'm reminded about that website that I kinda despise, that embellishes jokes to the fore for all to see, where the gratifying and brainless is brought to our attention first instead of what is helpful, where a harsh userbase will false report you for merely being annoying. But here, people like you are quaint, (as I always wanted it to be) instead of taking center stage and occupying our minds.  "Thank god this isn't a democracy" where people vote whatever makes them "feelgood" (wow, how cynical can I get?).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:14:28 am by anonymous14z »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 07:26:41 am »

Sorry if I offended you. And B12 is the most hiveminded of them all, yeah. This is why I like it. Also very strictly moderated.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:31:32 am by KittyTac »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 08:37:11 am »

Is that sarcasm? Bay12 is one of the more relaxed places online when it comes to moderation. All of the presently listed bans take place in the lower boards, most due to political drama, and there's often under 10 a year.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

anonymous14z

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 08:59:34 am »

@George_Chickens Yeah, but I don't want to involve too much drama, really, I probably was too eager to express some grievance I had (ya'know, about Reddit culture and my ranting about it which was subsequently down-voted or false-reported by the impulsive userbase), but I don't want this to get derailed too much; Thank you for your input on Dfortress, I'll probably give it a try soon (and repeatedly fail due to steep learning curve).

@Kittytac I'm not offended, I'm in fact pleased by your quaint reply, it's just that on reddit or steam (or any place where "Voting is enabled") I am often angered by how the showmanship is elevated more than it should -Into the prime real-estate-. On these forums -which don't have voting- might have showmanship, but it's not elevated or dignified too much, nor is the most simplistic comment elevated to the top (which probably has a subtle stupidity affect). It's not really even about you, it's about, well, I guess crowd psychology, and website design wrecking the info-sphere. But sorry for derailing, Thank for your comment. And to reply to your prior comment; I guess DF might indeed be a virus since it turns us into hosts that then spread the game.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:04:24 am by anonymous14z »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 02:13:09 pm »

I run the exe itself, rather than the zip, through virustotal before every release, and it didn't even get those two false positives at the time.  Something about the bundling process is tripping them maybe?  Or there are two new scans throwing up generic (and wrong) warnings.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 07:22:44 pm »

It looks like TheHacker complains about api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-0.dll, which is apparently included.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/663ba977338fc42cd09ee72b8fee70ed866ce7ba6256e73564c35628829a2012/relations
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 08:28:05 pm »

I'm eager to return to this game, to continue my first half-motivated blunder that was my first attempt 3-5? years ago where I tried the game, but didn't have the motivation to understand it or "work" with the game (quite a repelling fact that needs to be overcome). So I've downloaded the game and ran it through virustotal but on the results page ( https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/663ba977338fc42cd09ee72b8fee70ed866ce7ba6256e73564c35628829a2012/detection ), it shows that some obscure virus detectors "crylance" and "TheHacker" show some positives (which I hope are false). It's likely that all of this is false, if anti-viruses like Macafee and Kapersky and Malwarebytes show no positives it's probably safe, and even if I were to run the game, nothing will happen. But still.

What should I do?

P.S. Some Apologies for being too ambitious with my first post. But I want to get this concern out of the way.
Never heard of those 2 antivirus programs and suspect they are crap using crap virus definitions.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 11:50:27 pm »

Wait... did you download it from the official site?

anonymous14z

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 03:05:47 am »

@Toady One Maybe, I have only the faintest ideas about cybersecurity, I'm strongly inclined to think that the game was always safe, and the game seems safer when the EXE was "revealed" to be "safe" those fringe anti-viruses are probably false-flagging as I felt they were. I'll just play the game soon.

@vassock That's what I'm thinking. The game is almost certainly safe. I'll give it a try soon.

@kittytac Of course! I'm not that bad when it comes to cybersecurity, I always try to download stuff from official sites.

P.S. I have Kapersky anti-virus on my computer.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:10:00 am by anonymous14z »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 08:48:18 am »

It looks like TheHacker complains about api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-0.dll, which is apparently included.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/663ba977338fc42cd09ee72b8fee70ed866ce7ba6256e73564c35628829a2012/relations
That's a runtime library from Visual Studio. It's required, but things with an installer tend to have the installer download it (and the rest of the api-ms-*.dll files), from what I understand. DF doesn't have an installer, so the only other option besides bundling the DLLs is telling people to install them themselves.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.