Dwarf Fortress > DF General Discussion

Help to start playing DF

(1/10) > >>

lunitis:
Hi.
I saw someone playing Rimworld, was interested in how deep the game looked like, and after new that is was inspired in DF that seems to be much "deeper". So i want to try this dwarf thing.
 Thing is the "original" graphics eat my eyes and the complexity is scary for a new player...
I saw that there are were graphic/packs...
I like this ones from the image:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/26/control-dwarf-fortress-with-isometric-graphics-and-mouse/

Can someone tell me where i can find updated graphic packs?

I also read that there are some programs that make the game a bit more easy to play...

I would appreciate if someone help me dive properly in this game.  8)

KittyTac:
Read this. Quickstart guide especially. And yes, this is the best simulation game. I play without graphics packs, though, but it's your choice.

Trif:
Welcome!

It sounds like you want to download the DF Starter Pack. That's a collection of all the utilities and the most popular graphics packs.

The RPS Article uses Stonesense, which is in the Starter Pack, but I'm not sure if you can actually play the game like that. From what I can tell, it's just a visualizer, although it used to have UI functionality?
Someone else will have to weigh in here.

And the most important page for actually playing the game is the quickstart guide. It's an excellent tutorial and covers pretty much everything you need to know.
Use the wiki extensively, and if you have questions, you can ask them in the Forum as well.

Good luck, and remember, losing is fun!

Shonai_Dweller:
Regarding complexity, the main thing to remember is that (almost) all of us play many, many fortresses, restarting again and again, generating new worlds as we go.

So it's no problem for you to do that too. After the quickstart guide, focus on one or two things you want to learn, read through the wiki, try it out. There's so much to learn and so much is added in each new release that it's easy to be overwhelmed. Don't be. Try stuff out. Laugh as the dorfs all die again. Quit if it seems your embark is boring or dying of fps death (Slowing down to an unplayable crawl, which is a danger in many unoptimized alpha games like this one).

Try something new each time, but remember that no fortress is required to have every single industry operating at once.

lethosor:

--- Quote from: Trif on June 13, 2018, 08:21:58 am ---The RPS Article uses Stonesense, which is in the Starter Pack, but I'm not sure if you can actually play the game like that. From what I can tell, it's just a visualizer, although it used to have UI functionality?
Someone else will have to weigh in here.

--- End quote ---
The RPS article is about a feature that still exists, "stonesense overlay". However, it was in very early development back then, and has not progressed much since then. A number of pack authors and gaming sites jumped on the "omg you can play DF with Stonesense" bandwagon, even though the Stonesense/DFHack teams told them that it was hardly stable. So no, you can't reliably play with it, but it also hasn't been removed (or changed since then, really).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version