Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Help to start playing DF  (Read 5966 times)

lunitis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help to start playing DF
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:54:10 am »

Hi.
I saw someone playing Rimworld, was interested in how deep the game looked like, and after new that is was inspired in DF that seems to be much "deeper". So i want to try this dwarf thing.
 Thing is the "original" graphics eat my eyes and the complexity is scary for a new player...
I saw that there are were graphic/packs...
I like this ones from the image:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/26/control-dwarf-fortress-with-isometric-graphics-and-mouse/

Can someone tell me where i can find updated graphic packs?

I also read that there are some programs that make the game a bit more easy to play...

I would appreciate if someone help me dive properly in this game.  8)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Help to start playing DF
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:15:52 am »

Read this. Quickstart guide especially. And yes, this is the best simulation game. I play without graphics packs, though, but it's your choice.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:21:58 am »

Welcome!

It sounds like you want to download the DF Starter Pack. That's a collection of all the utilities and the most popular graphics packs.

The RPS Article uses Stonesense, which is in the Starter Pack, but I'm not sure if you can actually play the game like that. From what I can tell, it's just a visualizer, although it used to have UI functionality?
Someone else will have to weigh in here.

And the most important page for actually playing the game is the quickstart guide. It's an excellent tutorial and covers pretty much everything you need to know.
Use the wiki extensively, and if you have questions, you can ask them in the Forum as well.

Good luck, and remember, losing is fun!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:34:41 am »

Regarding complexity, the main thing to remember is that (almost) all of us play many, many fortresses, restarting again and again, generating new worlds as we go.

So it's no problem for you to do that too. After the quickstart guide, focus on one or two things you want to learn, read through the wiki, try it out. There's so much to learn and so much is added in each new release that it's easy to be overwhelmed. Don't be. Try stuff out. Laugh as the dorfs all die again. Quit if it seems your embark is boring or dying of fps death (Slowing down to an unplayable crawl, which is a danger in many unoptimized alpha games like this one).

Try something new each time, but remember that no fortress is required to have every single industry operating at once.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 12:55:08 pm »

The RPS Article uses Stonesense, which is in the Starter Pack, but I'm not sure if you can actually play the game like that. From what I can tell, it's just a visualizer, although it used to have UI functionality?
Someone else will have to weigh in here.
The RPS article is about a feature that still exists, "stonesense overlay". However, it was in very early development back then, and has not progressed much since then. A number of pack authors and gaming sites jumped on the "omg you can play DF with Stonesense" bandwagon, even though the Stonesense/DFHack teams told them that it was hardly stable. So no, you can't reliably play with it, but it also hasn't been removed (or changed since then, really).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 02:20:26 pm »

I prefer Armok Vision but I'm waiting for UI support to broaden so I can play the game mainly in it.

lunitis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:16:04 am »

Thanks guys.
Some of my favorite games are binding of isaac,  dungeons of dredmor, spelunky, FTL, Darkest Dungeon... so i sure can appreciate a good defeat  ;D

I installed the starter pack, i like the graphics sets that come with it.

Im just watching some tutorials on youtube before starting. There are some really good ones.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 08:27:16 am »

Just avoid Glaciers and sinister/haunted/terrifying biomes until you have the basics down (and maybe more).
Glaciers require you to know how to conquer the caverns while the other three (which can combine with Glaciers, challenge forts often seek out terrifying Glaciers) require luck and skill and hopefully no giant mosquito corpses flying around.

Do not dig too deep until you know what you are doing too (you'll see the barrier between too deep and not too deep) because the Clowns are no joke even if an unkindness of (undead) ravens beat one and conquered the circus.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 09:21:37 am »

Thanks guys.
Some of my favorite games are binding of isaac,  dungeons of dredmor, spelunky, FTL, Darkest Dungeon... so i sure can appreciate a good defeat  ;D

I installed the starter pack, i like the graphics sets that come with it.

Im just watching some tutorials on youtube before starting. There are some really good ones.

I speak for myself, but I did really appreciated videos from Quill18 on youtube.  He's very good at explaining things.

lunitis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 09:36:09 am »

Yes, my first world will be the easiest possible. I dont even know how to move things around let alone deal with mutant clowny spiders  :-X

Havent seen anything from Quill18, will look for it. Im watching  captnduck and DasTactic vids.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 09:45:09 am »

Read the Quickstart Guide and play along. It's not complicated and you can learn it in one evening.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

lunitis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 10:47:01 am »

I will when i start playing. For now its easier to assist the youtube videos while i am doing something else.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 01:16:20 pm »

I can personally recommend PeridexisErrant's tutorial, which helped me a lot when I first started playing DF.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

lunitis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 06:49:27 pm »

One question.
I was trying to use dwarf therapist to manage the jobs but i cant get it to run. I read somewhere that i cant use DFHack at the same time so i disabled it. Started the game again the the game was a bit bugged and could see dwarf therapist anyway. I have DT in "green". I am doing something wrong?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 07:09:27 pm »

I read somewhere that i cant use DFHack at the same time so i disabled it. Started the game again the the game was a bit bugged and could see dwarf therapist anyway. I have DT in "green". I am doing something wrong?
Where did you read that? That's entirely untrue.
Also, what does "bugged" mean, exactly? My guess is that you're using a tileset that requires TWBT, which requires DFHack, but I can't tell for sure without more details.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4