Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Help to start playing DF  (Read 5959 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help to start playing DF
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2018, 11:44:35 pm »

I wasn't sure if PyLNP had a way to adjust the actual volume or just turn off sound entirely. But editing init.txt will work regardless of whether PyLNP is being used or not, and is good to know how to do.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2018, 11:53:59 pm »

I wasn't sure if PyLNP had a way to adjust the actual volume or just turn off sound entirely. But editing init.txt will work regardless of whether PyLNP is being used or not, and is good to know how to do.
IIRC, it has a way to access init.txt with a built-in text editor.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

lunitis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2018, 05:09:33 pm »

Guys its possible to get the keybindings changed in game to the default?
I changed a couple keys (for selector) and later changed the key bindings txt in the starter pack.
+The keys i changed arent working as i want and there are so many key bindings and then there us th "BY position" and "By letter", i get lost and cant fix it.
What is that "By position" and "By letter"? Never saw that in any game..
What are the key bindings used for going up/down when selecting the thing to plant? If i cant get back to default maybe i can fix it if i know what to fix.
Right now "+" is making it jump from Dimple cups to sweet pods (ignoring plump helmets and quarry bushes) and zooming out at same time, so things are a bit messed up  :-[

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:15:29 pm by lunitis »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2018, 05:55:27 pm »

Guys its possible to get the keybindings changed in game to the default?
I changed a couple keys (for selector) and later changed the key bindings txt in the starter pack.
+The keys i changed arent working as i want and there are so many key bindings and then there us th "BY position" and "By letter", i get lost and cant fix it.
What are the key bindings used for going up/down when selecting the thing to plant? If i cant get back to default maybe i can fix it if i know what to fix.
Right now "+" is making it jump from Dimple cups to sweet pods (ignoring plump helmets and quarry bushes) and zooming out at same time, so things are a bit messed up  :-[

Thanks.
Keybindings are stored in the file data/init/interface.init.
You could copy over that file with one from a vanilla download of DF to get back to defaults.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2018, 11:41:03 am »

It's something to do with how the game handles the keyboard input. For instance, "By letter: 3" should trigger from both the numpad and the standard row. By position lets you choose just one.

I think by letter is also affected by caps lock, whereas by position isn't. I'm not sure why "By letter" is actually needed at all, other than possibly some kind of weird keyboard setup that doesn't recognize the positions.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:00:36 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2018, 01:55:14 pm »

By letter will also be affected by the keyboard layout. Ideally, you would use "by position" when the position is more important than what is printed on key, for example: UMKH when resizing. "By letter" is best for mnemonics, you don't care about the position but the letter helps remembering, it is especially useful for menu hotkeys (b = build, d = designate, ...).

That's the ideal, but the default configuration don't use that. UMKH is set "by letter" and I am too lazy to change it so I got used to the weird position it has on my french keyboard. And shortcut like Alt+s (slab) can only be done "by position" (because of the modifier).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 06:43:05 am »

By letter will also be affected by the keyboard layout. Ideally, you would use "by position" when the position is more important than what is printed on key, for example: UMKH when resizing. "By letter" is best for mnemonics, you don't care about the position but the letter helps remembering, it is especially useful for menu hotkeys (b = build, d = designate, ...).

That's the ideal, but the default configuration don't use that. UMKH is set "by letter" and I am too lazy to change it so I got used to the weird position it has on my french keyboard. And shortcut like Alt+s (slab) can only be done "by position" (because of the modifier).
I don't get it. What's the difference between "By position: m" and "By letter: m"? Or "By position: Shift+m" and "By letter: M"? Shouldn't they behave the same on any keyboard?

Don't you have to rebind the positions to a place that makes sense, regardless? You mentioned UMKH, but the M should probably be changed to , or J on an AZERTY keyboard. Does the keyboard secretly treat the , as an M when position is used?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:06:43 am by Bumber »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 10:48:03 am »

I don't get it. What's the difference between "By position: m" and "By letter: m"? Or "By position: Shift+m" and "By letter: M"? Shouldn't they behave the same on any keyboard?

Don't you have to rebind the positions to a place that makes sense, regardless? You mentioned UMKH, but the M should probably be changed to , or J on an AZERTY keyboard. Does the keyboard secretly treat the , as an M when position is used?
Another way of thinking of it: "By position" will use that specific physical key, while "By letter" will use any key that produces that letter (or maybe other input methods too). For example, "By letter: 2" includes the 2 key in the number row and the numpad, while "By position: 2" and "By position: Numpad 2" are separate keys and can be bound individually. The former would make more sense for the "character 2" text key (the STRING_050 binding), while the latter would be more useful to make only the numpad keys scroll, for example.

If you only have one "m" key on your keyboard, like most keyboards, you won't notice any difference between "by position" and "by letter" for that specific key. If you swap keyboard layouts frequently, the difference might be important. But in general, if you're setting keybindings, you should go with whichever method best reflects what that key means, like Clément said.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 11:43:22 am »

With my keyboard layout, "By position: m" is the same as "By letter: ," and "By position: Semicolon" is the same as "By letter: m" (windows only, linux is different). About the "secretly treat": your keyboard has no idea what is printed on its keycaps, so low-level key codes only depends on the position. When an application wants to print a character, your OS translate the low-level key code depending on your keyboard layout configuration.

lunitis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2018, 05:01:37 pm »

Thank you.
Im slowly learning something with the tutorials. But there is still a very long way to go..
One thing that i am not understanding now is this:

https://prnt.sc/jxcvy4

What does that XXXX mean? They are often showing up over stairs. Dwarfs can go up and down anyway, so i cant understand... 

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 05:55:48 pm »

Up/down stairs as I recall are displayed as "X".
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 09:18:24 pm »

Correct. The other tiles are actually boulders that happen to be on top of the stairs, although they won't prevent the stairs from being used.

You should be able to use "k" to look at tiles, which would list both the stairs and boulders, when applicable.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2018, 09:56:35 pm »

What does that XXXX mean? They are often showing up over stairs. Dwarfs can go up and down anyway, so i cant understand...
If you want to connect two levels with stairs, you need some stairs on each level. If those up/down stairs were not there, the lower level's "up" stairs would be useless.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2018, 11:36:46 pm »

If you want to connect two levels with stairs, you need some stairs on each level. If those up/down stairs were not there, the lower level's "up" stairs would be useless.
The question was about whether XXXX was an indicator of some kind of problem (i.e. "does an X over my stairs mean they don't work? It looks like they work to me."). But your point is good, although we can only see one level in the screenshot.

lunitis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2018, 05:15:39 am »

Ok.
Such a weird symbol to use for stairs.

Trying to learn how stairs work, it looks so different from up or down stairs.
Was worried that someone would get stuck   :)

-----------------------------

Other question..
I am looking at the stock screen to find out how many barrels i have because i need them for beer. I see that i have 30?. I was reading the wiki, if i am not mistaken the ? is because the number is rounded. The thing i want to know is how many are there available (empty). Its possible to know that?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:29:21 am by lunitis »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4