Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dangling Webs  (Read 531 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dangling Webs
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:02:07 pm »

A tall cavern is full of spider webs left behind after growing on tall trees that have been cut. I'm trying to get my item count down. Is there some clever way to collect those webs or make them fall without building staircases?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Dangling Webs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:15:23 pm »

I have not tried this, but what about filling the cavern with water? I'm sure magma would be more effective, but water might be enough. The wiki says "Webs are delicate, and can be destroyed by contact with any creature (except a dwarf that is gathering that web), or by any other rough treatment such as irrigating, etc. It also appears that if open to the outside, rain will destroy the webs remarkably quickly. "
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:26:55 pm »

Swarm the caverns with flying creatures. Web problem solved! :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 02:18:09 am »

I've made a web buster script for my usage:
Code: [Select]
[code]function web_buster ()
  local count = 0

for i, item in ipairs (df.global.world.items.all) do
    if item.flags.spider_web then
      item.flags.garbage_collect = true
      count = count + 1
    end
  end

dfhack.println ("Webs busted " .. tostring (count))
end

web_buster ()
[/code]
Note though that it marks all webs for destruction, including any you'd have in a potential silk farm.

It would be possible to modify the script to check whether the webs are suspended in the air and teleport them to the ground instead of marking them for destruction.

You can also use autodump, although that would teleport the dump marked items to a common location.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 02:28:31 am »

That's perfect, Patrik. Thanks! I'll collect everything in reach, and then bust the rest.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 06:32:03 am »

That's perfect, Patrik. Thanks! I'll collect everything in reach, and then bust the rest.
Make sure you've processed the collected webs into thread as well before removing the rest: I suspect collected webs are still web items...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 12:50:17 am »

Make sure you've processed the collected webs into thread as well before removing the rest: I suspect collected webs are still web items...
I suppose you'd need to check for the "undisturbed" trait.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 03:34:25 am »

The webs turn into thread as soon as the dwarf carries the web object to the loom that issued the job.
Edit: Actually, the web changes to thread as soon as they pick it up.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:53:29 am by Leonidas »