Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breaks should make a return  (Read 801 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breaks should make a return
« on: June 27, 2018, 10:22:57 am »

In my current fortress, I have quite a number of dwarves that are stressing out due to unmet needs. Most of these needs (socialize, praying, etc.) are things that only occur when I'm not giving them any orders, and even then the idle activity they choose to do doesn't always seem to match up with their mandated needs.

So I propose that breaks make a return, but instead of just doing nothing as before - they go out and actually fulfill their needs. Talk to friends, family, pray, whatever. I shouldn't have to micromanage the individual needs of 80 dwarves through strict labor allocation.

Now, I imagine many players don't really care, and would be pretty pissed to see breaks return that only serve to limit their fortress' productive capacity. So, make it an order option. Something like "work at all times" to "work as needed" or something. A tiered list that determines how often dwarves could be allowed to take breaks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:24:56 am by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breaks should make a return
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 06:01:17 pm »

This is a bug. Dwarves are meant to take breaks to socialize, dance, drink, hang out in the library. It's on mantis somewhere. Bringing back the genetic "break" would be pointless. They were deliberately replaced. When the bug is fixed, it's no longer an issue.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:17:11 am »

Are you talking about http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9147? That's just about worshiping. I also see http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9711, which is supposedly about unfulfillable needs but also briefly mentions dwarves not fulfilling fulfillable needs. Is that it?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:33:22 am »

Are you talking about http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9147? That's just about worshiping. I also see http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9711, which is supposedly about unfulfillable needs but also briefly mentions dwarves not fulfilling fulfillable needs. Is that it?
Fantasticdorf I think. Something about jobs never breaking for breaks.

--edit
Hmm. OK I can't find it now. Maybe no-one ever reported it and it was just mentioned as 'common knowledge' a couple of times. I'm sure I read a report. Maybe I dreamt it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:39:12 am by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 04:10:41 pm »

Hi yeah, someone rang? I helped diagnose the museum bug so i guess meeting zones and idlers are kind of my expertise bug field.

Here's one of my bug reports you might find relevant: 0010676: Dwarves do not posess a break-off limit on needs

To summarise some of the things i found, breaks wouldn't work in the context you're talking about because the needs system is broken, and all meeting zones have to be abstract in order to function without obstructing anybody even in the perfect scenario when using exploits to stop people visiting to idle and getting sucked into a activity that doesn't actually benefit them at all or makes other needs go up by the amount of time they spend there.

Table A is a meeting hall generic zone (area represented with +), as soon as any dwarf in idle area A walks within the temple or tavern zone represented with X's they will be forced to do the activity against their will virtually, the only room that doesn't force a activity with a meeting zone is the library but dwarves will repetitious reading books if they are availible.

+++XXX
+A+XXX
+++XXX

Without the meeting zone in the location being off, dwarves will autopilot to the location zone at their own discretion and this is when they become reluctant to leave altogether because they were busy idling. The meeting zone isn't actually required for the activity since it doesn't branch from idling itself.

Turning off meeting zone in a location guide.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 04:13:28 pm by FantasticDorf »