Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Option to continue generating history when world has no saves  (Read 3515 times)

HideAndSeekLOGIC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Option to continue generating history when world has no saves
« on: October 04, 2017, 06:38:35 am »

I think it would be quite awesome (at the very least) if you could see the effects of your adventurer/fortress on the world. You might observe all of their conflicts in Legends mode, or see what changed after those bandit lords died at your hands or maybe even see if your fort can take the test of time...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Option to continue generating history when world has no saves
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 07:14:36 am »

That's...what happens. Dwarf Fortress is a world simulator. It simulates the world regardless of what the player is doing. Play a Fortress for several years then you can check out what your adventurer has been doing in Legends, or unretire him if he survived.

Or do you mean return to Worldgen? Generate a few hundred years more history then continue? That's been suggested many times before.
In fact, Toady just did a talk which included how ridiculously difficult that is. It might happen one day because Toady's got determination and time. Don't hold your breath though.

HideAndSeekLOGIC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 04:49:17 pm »

Yes, I did mean return to worldgen...

I haven't been able to find any threads about this on the board, but it did strike me fancy the idea of continuing a world and seeing the butterfly effect a single mountain outpost or adventurer could have on the world. If it is in fact too much for ToadyOne to accomplish given his already gigantic task of implementing Myth and Magic, I'm fine with it not appearing in the game.

But maybe one day...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 05:07:31 pm »

Here's the link to the talk. It's towards the end, but the whole thing is interesting.

https://youtu.be/L67Xb4tgVv8

Settling down and marrying as an adventurer and later playing as your descendents is part of the plans so hopefully one day he'll find a way to do it that doesn't involve 'set a fortress on fast-forward for 100 years'.

--Edit
Oh, and there you go. Toady just confirmed in fotf. Not impossible, will give it a go someday. Yay.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:42:14 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 01:04:12 pm »

I actually created a similar topic about this sort of thing, are you saying that retired adventurers will get up to, well, adventure while I'm away? I wanted to set up situations (IE: Odd characters taking over a kingdom) and letting the simulation do what it will with it.

That's the thing (IMO) that's missing from legends mode.

JezaGaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 03:52:55 pm »

Will check the youtube video, but I'm glad he considers it at all.
I would love this feature and not just for retired adventurers.

I'm playing a fortress that began at year 5, trying to create a huge library and I would love to be able to retire after 20 or 25 years once everything is running smoothly and then generate a couple hundreds years of worldgen and see what impact my fortress had on the work around.

Heck you could even do that with the world as it was before you embarked using a backup save of the world then and compare both.

And of course you could then embark in another site using the same civ but 200 years after the first embark and see descendants of your old dwarves migrate to your new fort.

That would be epic !

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 06:58:03 pm »

I actually created a similar topic about this sort of thing, are you saying that retired adventurers will get up to, well, adventure while I'm away? I wanted to set up situations (IE: Odd characters taking over a kingdom) and letting the simulation do what it will with it.

That's the thing (IMO) that's missing from legends mode.
They should be able to in theory. They often don't, but you'll see that regular npc adventuring types often sit around for a hundred years before emerging on their next journey.

I guess there's not enough Science done on the subject, given the high fatality rate of adventurers (and possible reluctance to retire those who actually turn out to be long-term survivors).