Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Magic System

(1/4) > >>

Favi:
I keep thinking that DF needs a runic magic system.

Imagine 12 runes that each play a variable on the spell cast.

For example, a fireball spell would need a rune for fire, projectile, and explosion to cast.  However, if you forget to include the projectile rune, the spell will explode in front of you blowing your arm off.

I keep imagining all the combination of runes that could be used, and while I'm no math wiz, I think there would be 12! or 12 to the nth power number of spell possibilities.

One of the funnier ones I imagined was summoning a familiar with the projectile rune.  The result being a cat being flung into your enemies. :'(

Edited for spelling.

KittyTac:
Magic will be procedurally generated. Some worlds will be rune-based, some will be standard DnD magic-based, some like LOTR, some something that wasn't seen in any fantasy story. There won't be a single, fixed, magic system in DF. Something very similar to your suggestion might be produced by the generator, and the second myth release will include a magic editor so you can implement this yourself.

Bumber:

--- Quote from: Toady One on May 01, 2018, 02:22:21 am ---
--- Quote from: Buttery_Mess ---Traditionally, wizard magic is a big no no for dwarves. Do you think we'll be able to make dwarf wizards anyway on our forts, if we want to?

--- End quote ---
It depends on what you mean and the settings for that world.  "Geomancers" and "Rune <X>ers" are common dwarf 'wizard' types that aren't closely linked to the more-often-used priest powers.  Then there's the more traditional links to magical item production, which is a sort of magic.  The more vanilla settings will lean this way, toward 'dwarfy' magics, I suspect.  Others will allow more arbitrary research and spell opportunities.  Even in the vanilla settings, doing things like exploring runes and the powers of the earth would be on the table as research-style possibilities.

--- End quote ---

KittyTac:

--- Quote from: Bumber on June 16, 2018, 10:06:51 pm ---
--- Quote from: Toady One on May 01, 2018, 02:22:21 am ---
--- Quote from: Buttery_Mess ---Traditionally, wizard magic is a big no no for dwarves. Do you think we'll be able to make dwarf wizards anyway on our forts, if we want to?

--- End quote ---
It depends on what you mean and the settings for that world.  "Geomancers" and "Rune <X>ers" are common dwarf 'wizard' types that aren't closely linked to the more-often-used priest powers.  Then there's the more traditional links to magical item production, which is a sort of magic.  The more vanilla settings will lean this way, toward 'dwarfy' magics, I suspect.  Others will allow more arbitrary research and spell opportunities.  Even in the vanilla settings, doing things like exploring runes and the powers of the earth would be on the table as research-style possibilities.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Well, some time after the myth release, you will be able to play as non-dwarves in fortress mode, with all that entails.

Favi:

--- Quote from: KittyTac on June 16, 2018, 10:01:06 pm ---Magic will be procedurally generated. Some worlds will be rune-based, some will be standard DnD magic-based, some like LOTR, some something that wasn't seen in any fantasy story. There won't be a single, fixed, magic system in DF. Something very similar to your suggestion might be produced by the generator, and the second myth release will include a magic editor so you can implement this yourself.

--- End quote ---

Nice to get some info.  I did some research, but only was able to find something about magic biomes.  Do you have any sources you are able to share for this thread?  I would be very grateful. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version