Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Please do not change the order of data/init/interface.txt

(1/2) > >>

mikekchar:
As the subject says, please do not change the order of data/init/interface.txt.  I have a very complicated set of key bindings to support my non-standard keyboard.  I really can't play without it.  Every release I spend hours with a diff program trying to see what I'm missing from interface.txt -- essentially re-sorting it each time.  I'm guessing that this file is actually generated somehow, which is why the order changes each time, but it's really frustrating...

Shonai_Dweller:
All the new keys are listed in 'file changes.txt', aren't they?
What's stopping you from just copying them into your custom interface.txt each time?

(If they're not always included or often have keys missing, then yeah, fully support a 'please keep a comprehensive file changes.txt on each update' suggestion).

mikekchar:
I didn't know that!  I knew if I posted here someone would give me a work around.  Thanks!

lethosor:
The order has never been changed, as far as I know, at least not since 0.40. Sometimes keys are added in the middle, but that's to keep them in groups - is that what you mean?
It's possible that saving them in-game would change the order, but it would sort by ID if it does (numerically, not the human-readable names), so the order after saving should be consistent across versions too.

mikekchar:
Sorry, I'm positing this late.  What I meant was that if you move your .dwarffortress directory and restart the game, it generates new config files.   What I wanted to do was diff my current interfaces.txt file against the one that is created when you start the game for the first time -- with the idea that I could make a patch to update my old interfaces.txt file.  However, several sections seem to move around each time the default interfaces.txt file changes.  It's not possible to automate patching it.  However, the changes.txt file is an acceptable workaround for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version