Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Doing the Dwarfpunk

(1/1)

Autohummer:
After playing Frostpunk, I was compelled to recreate the Great Frost in Dwarf Fortress, because xFUNx is the new !!FUN!!. Blasphemous, I know.

I have tried to outright gen a world with minimum temperature at -90 and maximum temperature at -20 (judging from the default values, I think those are degrees Centigrade, not Urist, please correct me if I am wrong.) The problem is that all the worlds genned this way got rejected because the game could not place running rivers (they are frozen, it seems.)

In addition, the frost wasn't always there in the lore of Frostpunk, it came suddenly after a long period of normal climate. The best way to do this would be to change the minimum and maximum temperature of a world after it has been genned, but it may involve modding, which I have little idea on.

I would really appreciate any idea I could use to pull this off.

PS: I have read the tutorials but this is going to be my first fort, too. All the better, as the refugees in Frostpunk are implied to have no survival or city-keeping knowledge whatsoever.

PatrikLundell:
If you're making a PSV world (Pre Set Values) the temperature values you enter are modified by DF depending on latitude and elevation. Once you have a world the maximum temperature (reached at midsummer) seems to approximately be 0.75 * world tile temperature + 10000 Urists, if my investigation is correct, which means the temperature steps would be 3/4 Fahrenheit degrees.

The minimum temperature, reached at midwinter, is dependent on latitude (assuming poles are present), and the difference from the maximum temperature is approximately linear from 0 at both the pole and the equator to a maximum in the middle in between those, with a maximum variation of 48 degrees for a 257 tile single pole world and 43 degrees for a single pole 17 tile world.

If I wanted to cover the complete world in freezing cold I would use advanced world generation and a PSV world with no poles (and thus no latitude variations), set min rivers to 0 (to avoid that rejection), and set the PSV temperatures as desired (probably -90 * 4/3 * 9*6 to -20 * 4/3 * 9/5).
Note that you won't get either elves or humans in such a world, as the biomes they require aren't available.

A DFHack script that changes the temperature of all the world tiles is fairly easy to make, assuming you have the basic knowledge to make such scripts. This is probably the best way to achieve what you want: a world suddenly put into the freezer.
You could use this script, for instance:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
--- Code: ---[code]
function freeze ()
  for x = 0, df.global.world.world_data.world_width - 1 do
    for y = 0, df.global.world.world_data.world_height - 1 do
      df.global.world.world_data.region_map [x]:_displace (y).temperature =
        df.global.world.world_data.region_map [x]:_displace (y).temperature - 150
    end
  end
end

freeze ()

--- End code ---
[/code]Copy the script contents above into a "text" file called "freeze.lua" located in <DF>\hack\scripts and invoke it from the DFHack console with "freeze" (without the quotes). It requires you to use DFHack, of course (included in e.g. PeridexisErrant's LNP).

KittyTac:
Or you can wait until 86 rejections and press "Allow all rejections".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version