Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends of Aria - Spiritual Successor to Ultima  (Read 3747 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Legends of Aria - Spiritual Successor to Ultima
« on: June 19, 2018, 01:47:35 pm »

Touting itself as the spiritual successor to Ultima Online, Legends of Aria is a sandbox MMO released to Steam EA in August 2019.
A free version of Aria with certain feature limitations is expected November 2019!
http://www.legendsofaria.com/

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:01:50 am by Folly »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Legends of Aria - Spiritual Successor to Ultima
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 01:34:14 pm »

Holy cow that building looks delicious, I want to nibble on its rooftiles. But the landscape in the background looks awful. Hopefully players make it cool instead of awful like Second Life.

They make a lot of big promises. I hope they do really well!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:09:36 pm »

They have actually just released a major graphics overhaul about a week ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaMhfWggDUs

This update, which also included numerous mechanics changes, has prompted them to add one additional phase of closed beta for testing purposes, which unfortunately means that open beta will be delayed another month or two.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 07:12:35 am »

This looks very promising.
If this will provide the same freedom of Ultima Online, it will end my dark age of MMOs. Last MMOs I liked have been Aion and GW2.
The last MMOs I really loved has been Dark Age of Camelot, almost two decades ago.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 11:19:42 pm »

The last MMOs I really loved has been Dark Age of Camelot, almost two decades ago.

I hate to derail the thread, but if you're looking to recapture that oldschool MMO feeling, I strongly recommend Project Gorgon. If you can overlook performance issues and incomplete areas, what's left is a pretty awesome MMO in the classic style.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 06:56:27 am »

I played the closed beta but it's pretty barebones atm. Very UO-clone-ish but doesn't have enough content to separate it into its own sort of game imo. The NPC merchant mechanics are terrible though I've heard they're going to change them. But imo the game is far, far from finished.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 02:37:27 pm »

I hate to derail the thread, but if you're looking to recapture that oldschool MMO feeling, I strongly recommend Project Gorgon. If you can overlook performance issues and incomplete areas, what's left is a pretty awesome MMO in the classic style.

Thanks, I will have a look.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 03:53:07 pm »

I clicked on the thread thinking something more like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a74K5aKu1g  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 01:34:07 pm »

Legends of Aria: Steam Early Access Trailer

Aria is launching on Steam Early Access December 4th, with 7-day head start for pre-orders on November 27th.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 08:53:43 pm »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 12:48:07 am »

So it's been a year and apparently the game isnt dead yet, unlike this thread. But I'm not here to post about the game and have no info myself about it. So Rise thread, rise!

Did this turn out ok? I saw something about it adding free accounts later this month or something. Anyone actually play it? How is it? Also saw something about community server called Legends of Ultima, but that wouldn't be accessible from the free account. Anyone play that?

Thinking about picking it up, but seeing as reviews are kinda iffy and it's not on sale I thought I would see if anyone else from around here got into it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 12:55:19 am »

I caved and just bought it to give it a shot. Too much UO nostalgia in me lol.

LoA is kind of a train wreck. It's still in early access and it shows. The UI is better than old UO, but that isn't saying too much. The actual gameplay is kind of crap. The whole game just feels janky and just less than it could be.

The LoU community server basically rips out all the new features that kind of suck and replaces it with how UO used to be. It seems to be run pretty professionally. So far the community seems pretty good, most folks are friendly to newbies.

LoU is basically a really good UO free shard with a new and better interface. Going in kind of expecting that, I wasn't disappointed. I doubt it will go mainstream any time soon, but it has a decent population and is fun to play. I'll be playing it for a bit at least. And it's still actively being developed both from the LoA devs side and the guys running LoU. So will probably get better with time.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 03:04:18 am »

So what I got out of reading reviews and some posts scattered around...

LoA started as a PvE game. But pvpers complained it was too easy and they couldn't gank people and no one was pvping, so they completely changed to a pvp focused game. A lot of pvers left after that. So they reverted that change at some point...some pvers came back, but then the pvpers left...and then they made it a pvp game AGAIN and a few pvpers came back but now most pvers are gone and some of the pvpers.

So effectively they killed their own game by listening to a small group of complainers and kept changing each time. But probably felt like they had to bring the pve players back cause so many left, but then realized the pvpers were gone and kept chasing their own tail.

Lesson there is to not not make a pvp game into a pve game, or a pve game into a pvp game. With the exception that ultima online actually did a ton better when they added trammel and they even stated their numbers went up and the number of bleeding subs greatly went down, but they kept the huge pvp area open for those that like pvp. Thats the only pvp to pve transition I've seen that actually worked. BUT...they didn't keep changing it over and over and over like LoA looks like they did.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:21:03 am by Trolldefender99 »

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 04:12:56 am »

LoA started as a PvE game. But pvpers complained it was too easy and they couldn't gank people and no one was pvping, so they completely changed to a pvp focused game. A lot of pvers left after that.

From what little I remember the first PvP update was an unbalanced mess. It was basically laser tag, but only one side was handed guns and the other also had their hands bound behind their backs.
There was not only an exodus of PvE players, but also a smaller one of PvPers who were still not getting any good fights and got bored of one-shotting their defenseless victims pretty fast.

It got better after a few rounds of back-and-forth patching, but by then damage was already done.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 04:15:33 am by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 04:52:55 pm »

Free-to-play mode is now live.