Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant capuchins don't produce meat?  (Read 648 times)

andrian

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.
    • View Profile
Giant capuchins don't produce meat?
« on: June 19, 2018, 07:23:27 pm »

I just watched my dwarves butcher several giant capuchin corpses in my current fortress and though I got bones, cartilage, hair, and the like, I didn't get any meat. Does anybody know why that might have happened?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Giant capuchins don't produce meat?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:17:15 pm »

The usual culprit here is the animal just being too small, but in that case I think you usually just get a skull.  Not to mention it seems unlikely that a giant anything would be too small.

I'm not aware of anything else that could cause it, short of modding.  Does butchering livestock or other animals work fine?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:28:26 pm »

The non-giant capuchin are large enough to produce meat, so the giant versions should produce meat.

Freshness matters... If the corpse is already rotten, you cannot butcher it until it degrades to skeleton and then you do not gain meat or leather from it. Did you gain leather from them? If you gained leather but no meat, then something is wrong.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 04:53:46 pm »

I'm not sure if I got leather. I know I got hair, bone, and cartilage. Regular butchering works, and I've just caught some giant capuchins. Once I've domesticated their children, I'll butcher them and see what I get.

andrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:54:23 pm »

Update:

Butchering giant capuchins does produce meat. The corpses must have been fresh enough to butcher, but not fresh enough to get meat.