Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Companion has a dark secret  (Read 1994 times)

Ronnoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Companion has a dark secret
« on: June 19, 2018, 10:37:34 pm »

My supposedly loyal companion, Rorte, has made me suspicious. For starters, when the ferocious dusk troll we killed tore off her fingers, they were referred to as Tiqua's fingers. Also in viewing the description of my character is stated Tiqua as a traveling companion but did not include Rorte. I inquired into her profession (as she appeared to be a mere peddler) and she told me she was a soldier. She also told me about a nephew of hers. I did some digging in Legends Viewer and quickly discovered that Tiqua Actedwayward was an aunt of Behal (her nephew). Looking at her profile I could see she had deceived the human civilization into believing she was an unknown figure (probably Rorte).

Is there anything I can do about my companion having a false identity (could I expose her for example)? Is there any potential threat? From a roleplaying perspective how do you think one would react to this information? She has used her identity to form false friendships. Does this mean she is a spy working for another civilization?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Asking her about Rorte got her to reveal information about herself. Asking her about Tiqua however...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:42:05 pm by Ronnoc »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Companion has a dark secret
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 03:50:16 pm »

She could very well be a spy, peddlers often are. There's probably no threat to you, specifically, as spies are supposedly mostly there to learn the locations of artifacts for their parent civ, not to assassinate adventurers. I havent found a way to squeeze someone's true identity out of them, but that "I is my neighbor" thing is hilarious!

I suspect one of my companions in a recent game was a spy as well. after I recruited her out of a dwarven hillocks as a drunk, she switched professions first to dancer and then again to soldier. Didn't lop any fingers off her or check legends mode, though.

Maybe try tracking down her family members and getting her to talk to them. Supposedly people who know you under one identity, when greeted under a different identity, will call you out for it. Maybe her nephew will blow her cover.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ronnoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 08:52:47 pm »

She could very well be a spy, peddlers often are. There's probably no threat to you, specifically, as spies are supposedly mostly there to learn the locations of artifacts for their parent civ, not to assassinate adventurers. I havent found a way to squeeze someone's true identity out of them, but that "I is my neighbor" thing is hilarious!

I suspect one of my companions in a recent game was a spy as well. after I recruited her out of a dwarven hillocks as a drunk, she switched professions first to dancer and then again to soldier. Didn't lop any fingers off her or check legends mode, though.

Maybe try tracking down her family members and getting her to talk to them. Supposedly people who know you under one identity, when greeted under a different identity, will call you out for it. Maybe her nephew will blow her cover.

Alas, it was not to be, for my glorious adventurer was struck down by a goblin ambush and my companions were too crippled to save me. He will be avenged...

Interesting tips nonetheless, thanks aplenty and I will try tracking down their family if this ever happens again.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:40:54 am »

From a roleplaying perspective how do you think one would react to this information?

*gasp* "How did you find out?"

"I noticed your real name on the fingers you lost to the dusk troll. Rookie mistake."

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 01:57:19 pm »

"What can you tell me about Tiqua Actedwayward?"
"I is my neighbor..."
"..."
"SHE! She was my neighbor!"

She's not gonna get far in the spy business all by herself, that much I can tell you.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 06:15:31 am »

She could very well be a spy, peddlers often are. There's probably no threat to you, specifically, as spies are supposedly mostly there to learn the locations of artifacts for their parent civ, not to assassinate adventurers.

'Yet' seems to be the operative word here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 09:32:45 am »

Better than 'me? Who is that? I dont know myself.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:55:35 am »

I always thought that nonsense like

"Do you know where I can find myself?"

"I don't know, and I don't even know anybody else who can tell you."

was a sarcastic response.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.