Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Questions about citizens of other races

(1/2) > >>

Justin:
I usually go for pure 'dwarf' fortresses, but I'm hoping you guys can answer a few questions I have.

Do human/elf/goblin citizens sleep? And do they drink from wells?

I'm currently trying to start a 'vampire' fort, and was wondering.

FantasticDorf:
Information on intelligent civ creatures can be found on their RAW definitions usually in creature_standard for the primary civilized races, elves need to eat and drink like everyone else but do not have a [MAXAGE] hence they have a infinite lifespan, other information like this can be found there.

Goblins neither eat or drink, but again this can be easily changed by [RAW] modding, all races however will drink in taverns for pleasure regardless of whether they need to but only eat when required (which can lead to faulty, so [NO_DRINK] tends to be preferred)

Cultural preferences like aversion/encouragement to eating other sapients are handled by the entity the citizen hails from but all food is pretty much food at the end of the day. Goblins require no sustainance and have been for a long time used in dwarf computing because of their pernamence.

PatrikLundell:
All races sleep, but vampires do not.
As FantasticDorf said, elves and humans need to drink, while goblins do not, which means the first two races drink from wells if no booze is available. Nobody has figured out how to serve vampire blood laced water (or any water, for that matter) in taverns.
As mentioned, again, all races, plus vampires, drink in taverns if served by staff (with the attendant possible side effects from staffed taverns).

I don't know if water is brought to hospitalized goblins, but since they don't need to drink they probably won't get thirsty to trigger water delivery (someone very keen on helping others?).

Dunamisdeos:
What if you get the mugs covered in vampire blood.

Saiko Kila:
I just wanted to mention that even if you don't restrict access to booze, some dwarves will give water to anyone thirsty (which usually means humans, elves and other dwarves). They will bring it in a bucket, and often will force the water into recipient while he is busy drinking normal booze. The recipient still can feel satisfaction or other emotion after being given water.

This is made easier since introduction of mugs,  because it takes a while for the drunkard to find a mug, then a pot with booze, and the act of drinking itself is quite prolonged, while giving water is instant (of course the giver has to find a bucket and a well before).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version