Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Xenonauts 2: Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator  (Read 6403 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Xenonauts 2: Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator
« on: June 20, 2018, 07:11:37 pm »

(Made to avoid necroing the other Xenonauts 2 topic from ~2017 and so I can update this as things change. I can always lock this if it's deemed unnecessary.)

Xenonauts 2 is, well, it's the sequel to Xenonauts 1; the fairly successful spiritual successor to X-COM UFO Defense taking a more traditionalist approach versus other more radical interpretations of the time, such as the Firaxis-developed XCOM.
In terms of setting, it's similar to but quite different than the first game: it's a alternate timeline where, thanks to subtle alien interference, the cold war continues to modern day where the game is set. It's focused around more of a "shadow war" between the Xenonauts and aliens to reinforce cold war paranoia, and takes place immediately after the Xenonauts lose their main ground base to an alien attack and are forced to evacuate to a hidden base in Iceland.

The combat side this time around is rendered in full 3d, rather than 2d like the first Xenonauts.

The following information comes from this thread on the Xenonauts forums, which is generally accurate but subject to change as development isn't yet complete.

Spoiler: More Information (click to show/hide)

The reason for posting this now is that their Kickstarter just launched. As I type this it's already gotten past its funding goal, but the game has a decent number of stretch goals and rewards that people may be interested in.
There's an Alpha Combat demo available for download as well, linked in the kickstarter.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts 2: Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 01:48:30 am »

There is a demo for the game in Gog.com. I didn't download it, but noticed it was available.

Anyway, Xenonauts was awesome so I'm surely going to purchase this one too. In my opinion Xenonauts was a better successor to the original X-Com than the New X-Com. The New X-Com, especially part 2, is a great game but it takes the game in a different direction since you are commanding limited amount of guys and get punished harshly for casualties. Xenonauts is more like the original where you can swarm the aliens with mooks Soviet-style.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 02:12:13 am »

Xenonauts 1 is one of my favorite games of this decade. I think I have a backer no. <50 for the second :P

If you back don't forget to vote for priorities of the stretch goals. I picked medical as #1.

The X-Com reboot is ok, but not great. I think it's too AAA-streamlined, meaning it tries to please everyone, and I'm not a casual gamer. I enjoy games as an art. Xenonauts masters much of that part.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 07:27:28 am »

Interesting.

I gave a run to Xenonauts thanks to its gog recent freebie release and enjoyed a bit of it, there are a lot of good ideas.
My favorite was the presence of cops/military during mission instead of only hopeless civilians like in old xcom (without mods), while they were'nt doing your job at your place, they provided some nice variation on the conflict, some of the interface improvement over old xcom makes it even easier to handle, the aiming system reminded a bit of JA2 with right click to add more careful aiming in exchange of more TU.

What i liked much less was the AI, i feel in Xenonauts they're less interested in attacking you than in old xcom, making those battle missions more boring than what i still enjoy in old xcom and unfortunately the community edition mod keep the same AI settings than the base game.
Apparently there are mods that make the AI more willing to fight but didn't tried any yet.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 08:47:42 am »

I enjoyed Xenonauts, hopefully the second one is even better!

My only problem with the first one is that it felt like the game lasted longer than it should have. There was certain point where the tactical battles went from being fun to being repetitive and tedious. Hopefully the second one offers more variation throughout the campaign, and maybe condenses it into a shorter playing experience.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:21:11 am »

I backed it. Always nice to have more x-com genre games out there!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:11:52 pm »

I gave xenonauts a try after GoG gave it away, but I came away disappointed and kind of annoyed with it, tbh.

My gripes included such things as shot-down UFOs never having holes in them like they do in the original and openxcom, the layout of ufo interiors making any attempt to take a ufo with more than one alien inside practically suicidal, and it not being possible to take even the simplest armor off of dead soldiers. Also, when I put dead aliens, their equipment, and my dead armor-wearing troopers on my helicopter and left, the game ignored them, and I'm pretty sure the original and openxcom don't. Also there's still no night vision goggles.

I read through the Xenonauts 2 kickstarter to see if any of these were addressed, and as far as I saw, none of them were mentioned. 🤷
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 12:20:04 pm »

I don't think I'd want used body armour. I'm assuming the holes would make it less effective. :P

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 12:26:47 pm »

It was also very bothering to me to be unable to make my own entrances in aliens ships from the sides, the top or etc... like in old xcom.

That was something really good about old xcom and that also worked great, having this removed was just wrong to me.
I guess it was probably to give an use to those shields they added to the item selections to protect your troops when trying to get inside from the ufo entrance doors, but still it removed a lot of the tactical fun .

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 12:34:44 pm »

I gave xenonauts a try after GoG gave it away, but I came away disappointed and kind of annoyed with it, tbh.

My gripes included such things as shot-down UFOs never having holes in them like they do in the original and openxcom, the layout of ufo interiors making any attempt to take a ufo with more than one alien inside practically suicidal, and it not being possible to take even the simplest armor off of dead soldiers. Also, when I put dead aliens, their equipment, and my dead armor-wearing troopers on my helicopter and left, the game ignored them, and I'm pretty sure the original and openxcom don't. Also there's still no night vision goggles.

I read through the Xenonauts 2 kickstarter to see if any of these were addressed, and as far as I saw, none of them were mentioned. 🤷

Smoke the door, stack up, end turn, open door, flashbang/stun gas, profit

I use mods that let you damage UFO walls. Definitely makes a more immersive game. And the body armor is just because destroyed body armor is pretty useless.

Alien equipment and corpses are automatically processed at the end of the mission. You can see it in the funds breakdown at the end of each mission. This might be from the community patch, but honestly I've never played without XCE

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 12:42:19 pm »

Yeah, I know how that works. They weren't processed.

I could see the body armor being too damaged, but I had hoped that at least they could be recycled or something. They're not easy to make; I lost several squads for every ufo I captured.

(Also on that last mission I equipped the entire squad with shields and still lost my HWP and half of the squad just taking one building where a ton of aliens were holed up.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 02:36:40 pm »

Th Kickstarter may not mention it, but they do make a pretty big deal around the fact that you can in fact breach UFO hulls in Xenonauts 2.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 02:40:01 pm »

Ah, nice.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 05:31:32 pm »

Yeah, I'm super hyped for this. Xenonauts 1 felt like a proper horror-strategy game akin to UFO Defense (or even UFO Aftermath!) while the Firaxis XCOMs are standard AAA whizbang shooty affairs, which can be fun in its own way.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:34:15 pm by Malus »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 11:54:40 am »

So reading the Features List it seems like they are hybridizing it with Firaxis XCOM.

Such as only one main base with set slots (perhaps excavation as well?)
Inventory is set item slots, so 1 weapon, 1 secondary slot (medkit/stun baton/sidearm) and then ammo+grenades
Not 100% sure but it looks like all soldiers start with same stats and then it increases as they get promoted?
probably more

It seems weird that they are copying so many concepts. Hopefully it makes it a good game but I would have preferred them expanding and refining on stuff in the original.
My only problem with the first one is that it felt like the game lasted longer than it should have. There was certain point where the tactical battles went from being fun to being repetitive and tedious. Hopefully the second one offers more variation throughout the campaign, and maybe condenses it into a shorter playing experience.

I agree, the pacing is very slow.
Pages: [1] 2 3