Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old BBS Door Game: Outpost Trader  (Read 1765 times)

Sye

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Old BBS Door Game: Outpost Trader
« on: March 27, 2019, 04:35:58 pm »

So, this actually seems a forum I might find some headway on this.

There's an old BBS door game called "Outpost Trader" -- It's a TW2002 clone, made in '94 by Greg Watts.  I enjoyed playing it solo as a kid, but one thing that always bugged me was never being able to get a registration code for it.  Didn't have cash as a kid, so I couldn't do that, and by the time I came back around to remembering it and wanting to play it (again, solo), it was 2019, and I'm pretty sure all the information for ordering one is up and gone.

So.. Um.. Okay, if this is out of line, please forgive me for asking:  But does anyone have any idea how I might get a registration code generated for this?  I the program itself is easy enough to find online (see below), but beyond that I've got no idea.  No decryption experience -- Though a work colleague suggested it might be a level 4 encryption, whatever that means -- and no real firm programming experience.  I just want to check out something from my childhood that, by this time, is probably completely abandoned.

http://annex.retroarchive.org/cdrom/cotc-4/BBS/OTRAD101.ZIP

As an aside, if it ISN'T completely abandoned, or if this is a question of dubious legality, please consider the question itself rescinded.  I don't want to particularly commit a digital crime -- I just want to check out an old piece of (presumably) abandonware, purely for personal nostalgia.

As a note, if need even be said, it does require DOSBox to run properly in Win10x64.

Thanks!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Old BBS Door Game: Outpost Trader
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 05:29:34 pm »

nevermind, I'm an idiot.

(Though I stand by my claim that "level 4 encryption" is technobabble or a Netrunner (another BBS Door Game) reference)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:37:23 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sye

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 05:47:28 pm »

I honestly have zero idea of anything relating to encryption of any sort.  I know it exists, I know what it does, but beyond that, I got nothing at all.

So, it's entirely possible it was technobabble.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 06:16:28 pm »

I wasn't able to find much when I was looking. I found some other people online trying to do similar things with other games, seems like the best luck was running a debugger tool called OllyDbg and skipping through specific lines of code to the part that trigger registration. (Screenshot of someone having success with that, not much more info though.)

OllyDbg is definitely not the most user-friendly tool though and you might have an even more difficult time without some basic knowledge of Assembly.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sye

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 06:42:40 am »

Oof.  Which I don't.

I mean, I guess I've tried to learn a new discipline for reasons even more frivolous than this, though I'm hard-pressed to think of any of them.

Still open to any suggestions or outright help, if anyone wants to throw it out there.  Barring that.. I mean.. This may be the best route available?  It's just looking like it'll take a while.  Hoi.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 09:01:28 pm »

A great subgenre  :)
I will check out TW2002.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:00:52 am »

PM sent.

Sye

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 09:02:45 am »

PM sent.

Thanks, Mephisto!  I'll check this out when I get off work this afternoon.