Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Xenonauts 2: Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator  (Read 6774 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts 2: Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2019, 09:22:26 am »

In the beta I played last night, you have a single Main "ant farm" base that you do all your research/manufacturing/soldiering in. You also have small Hanger/Radar bases that you place around the world to detect and intercept alien craft. It is very much a hybrid between OG Xcom and Xcom EU.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2019, 09:28:37 am »

How is it otherwise? Are there still ballistics, destroyable enviroment and so forth from Xenonauts 1? I really want it to be good. :/

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2019, 09:57:18 am »

Ballistics are in. Destroyable environments are in as far as I can tell, though I didn't try to break too much.

A lot of stuff just isn't in yet, I think. It is in pretty early beta from the looks of it. Lots of placeholder text and whatnot.

Right now I'm cautiously optimistic. It looks like it could be pretty fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 10:15:42 am »

I dont think nuCOM was "start with oldCOM and improve what needs to be improved". I'd say that nuCOM simplified some oldCOM features a lot (not always in bad ways... I like how cover works in nuCOM) and removed others altogether (ie: procedural generation and destructive environments only began to make their way back in limited forms in XCOM2).

I dislike newCOM's rng driven shots. I think the problem is that newCOM's gameplay is not flexible enough to allocate for that (combat is too life-or-death, defeats and retreats are too crushing, and finding new staff and resources is hard. OldCOM was far more flexible in those, esp in the early game. You could take measures to bounce back from most situations)

I've never been able to get into xenonauts: in  a way my situation is similar to Cthulhu's: when I finally got it openXCOM went fully functional. and I like openXCOM better.
I probably should give it a spin though... see how kt gkes
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 11:03:32 am »

Booted up the beta. First mission, aliens attacking a factory or something.

I fly my 8 green xcom soldiers xenonauts in without even looking at their equipment.

Thank god they grabbed some weapons.

Everyone piled out of the generic transport craft. Aliens right there in front of me.

Oh shit I used all my time units or whatever they're called.

Hit end turn fully expecting 2-3 dead.

Aliens miss every shot, one of them at 3 tiles distance.

What?

Fire back. My guys miss all but two shots. One alien down (point blank shotgun after I got annoyed at missing, I literally ran next to him and fired into his shoulder)

Firefight ensued where aliens and xenonauts were standing ~20 feet from one another and hitting one time in 10.

I win, no deaths two injuries.

I'd really like an overlay that shows how far you can walk while still having enough TU to fire on overwatch, or for it to reserve some TU and stop your movement

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2019, 11:22:46 am »

Wow, you had way more misses than I did. My fights all ended up with lots of shots landing on both sides.

I think there is some way to do the old xcom thing where you can reserve TUs for shots, but I didn't really try to find it. I did notice that when you select movement the number it shows on the tile is how many TUs you have left after moving there, so I just relied on that.

UI definitely needs more tooltips and whatnot. But, you know, beta.
Come play Mafia with us!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2019, 01:02:13 pm »

I dont think nuCOM was "start with oldCOM and improve what needs to be improved". I'd say that nuCOM simplified some oldCOM features a lot (not always in bad ways... I like how cover works in nuCOM) and removed others altogether (ie: procedural generation and destructive environments only began to make their way back in limited forms in XCOM2).
According to the devs, that's exactly what they did. It's just that simplifying or removing things was a valid part of that. For instance, they found TUs to be clunky, so they simplified it down to the two-action system we have now. They didn't consider TUs to be a Sacred Thing they had to keep because that's how OldCOM did it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 01:44:07 pm »

In the beta I played last night, you have a single Main "ant farm" base that you do all your research/manufacturing/soldiering in. You also have small Hanger/Radar bases that you place around the world to detect and intercept alien craft. It is very much a hybrid between OG Xcom and Xcom EU.

That's unfortunate, but I remembered upon reading it that the main thing that bugged me about that in the NewCOMs wasn't strictly that it was just one base -- it was that you could only send out one team to one place at a time. Can you still respond to several situations simultaneously in Xenauts 2?
Love, scriver~

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 02:17:16 pm »

Wow, you had way more misses than I did. My fights all ended up with lots of shots landing on both sides.

I think there is some way to do the old xcom thing where you can reserve TUs for shots, but I didn't really try to find it. I did notice that when you select movement the number it shows on the tile is how many TUs you have left after moving there, so I just relied on that.

UI definitely needs more tooltips and whatnot. But, you know, beta.
Just the way RNG works I guess. It was uncanny. Granted it was my very first mission but it was almost comical. Certainly gave me that old school xcom feel when my trained best-of-the-best soldier missed a clear shot at 30ft

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 04:07:37 pm »

That's unfortunate, but I remembered upon reading it that the main thing that bugged me about that in the NewCOMs wasn't strictly that it was just one base -- it was that you could only send out one team to one place at a time. Can you still respond to several situations simultaneously in Xenauts 2?

I don't think so, but I only played for about 45 minutes before bugs got to me and I stopped. Never saw a situation where I had more than one thing to respond to at a time except for UFOs, and you do have multiple hangers for that.
Come play Mafia with us!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2019, 05:10:43 pm »

It wasn't just that - it was worse. Rather than only letting you send one team at once, the game was specifically structured so terror missions were presented as either-or. It worked as a gamey mechanic - terror levels rising was a constant threat that you couldn't control, only mitigate so you had to keep pushing forward - but it was so explicitly artificial it was infuriating.

Barring an active decision to incorporate mandatory either-or choices, anything Xn2 does will be better than that bit of NuCom.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2019, 12:12:08 am »

I don't think so, but I only played for about 45 minutes before bugs got to me and I stopped. Never saw a situation where I had more than one thing to respond to at a time except for UFOs, and you do have multiple hangers for that.

But if you had more than one UFO, don't you also end up with more than of UFO crashsite? Gotta maintain that air superiority :P
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2019, 08:45:12 am »

I suspect they have a bad case of convergent evolution going on. Recall that NewCOM was developed by starting with OldCOM and then improving the bits they thought needed work. It shouldn't be too surprising a team following similar principles ended up in a similar place.

That said, OldCOM But Betterer was kind of their main selling point. I'm guessing they'll end up backtracking on as much as feasible, unless the entirety of the OldCOM crowd is less appealing than splitting the NewCOM crowd between themselves, NuCOM2, and Phoenix Point.

Which, knowing old fandoms, is entirely possible I guess.

I was remembering that they announced a new X-com game, everyone got on board, they announced it would be an FPS, everyone told them to go fuck themselves, so they took an extra year-ish to make what they did instead.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2019, 09:17:29 am »

I suspect they have a bad case of convergent evolution going on. Recall that NewCOM was developed by starting with OldCOM and then improving the bits they thought needed work. It shouldn't be too surprising a team following similar principles ended up in a similar place.

That said, OldCOM But Betterer was kind of their main selling point. I'm guessing they'll end up backtracking on as much as feasible, unless the entirety of the OldCOM crowd is less appealing than splitting the NewCOM crowd between themselves, NuCOM2, and Phoenix Point.

Which, knowing old fandoms, is entirely possible I guess.

I was remembering that they announced a new X-com game, everyone got on board, they announced it would be an FPS, everyone told them to go fuck themselves, so they took an extra year-ish to make what they did instead.
The Bureau and NewCOM were in development simultaneously, the Bureau just got announced first as the new XCOM game, so none of that really changes IronyOwl's point.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 [3]