Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Xenonauts 2: Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator  (Read 6402 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts 2: Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 02:16:41 pm »

So reading the Features List it seems like they are hybridizing it with Firaxis XCOM.

Such as only one main base with set slots (perhaps excavation as well?)

i mean

gimme a break
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:21:58 pm by ZeroGravitas »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 11:27:59 pm »

Huh. So we're going from OG XCOM 1.5 to new XCOM 1.5?

Interesting. Kinda bummed about that but...might still make for a fun game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 11:48:47 am »

All backers should be receiving their closed beta keys at 12 PM PST today.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts-2-strategic-planetary-defence-simulator/posts/2461954

Early Access set for June.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 03:00:45 pm »

I was interested in this at first, but then it seemed like they were simplifying it and streamlining it into something similar to the Firaxis X-COMs. Have they talked any further about that stuff? I.E: Simplifying air combat, reducing to one main base as mentioned in the thread further up, set inventory item slots, that sort of thing.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 03:22:24 pm »

I was interested in this at first, but then it seemed like they were simplifying it and streamlining it into something similar to the Firaxis X-COMs.

Agreed. That base looks like a knock off of Fallout Shelter.

Have they talked any further about that stuff? I.E: Simplifying air combat, reducing to one main base as mentioned in the thread further up, set inventory item slots, that sort of thing.

I wouldn't mind them making air combat less terrible. The original x-com was way too simple with combat, but it was much less painful.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 04:22:28 pm »

That old link to the features list is dead, but going through their dev updates, it seems like they went back on some stuff at least. Here they mention implementing the Xenonauts 1 inventory system, in another they mention returning to a realtime geoscape instead of a turnbased one, and in this one, they mention changes to the main base. I don't know if they went back on having only one base though. Bits and pieces of these updates seem to suggest it, but I don't have the early build, so I can't say for sure.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 04:28:25 pm »

I liked Xenonauts and I still hope Xenonaut 2 will be more true to original X-Coms than Firaxis ones. Firaxines X-Com are good in their own way, but it would be nice to see a different take.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 05:42:36 pm »

Well, got my key for the Beta so I can try it out this week and let you guys know where it's at. Won't be for a few days, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 01:59:51 pm »

Xenonauts air combat was probably my favorite part of the game. A little work to make it more nuanced I think is all it needed.

I'd be pretty sad if they simplified it.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 07:16:21 pm »

I suspect they have a bad case of convergent evolution going on. Recall that NewCOM was developed by starting with OldCOM and then improving the bits they thought needed work. It shouldn't be too surprising a team following similar principles ended up in a similar place.

That said, OldCOM But Betterer was kind of their main selling point. I'm guessing they'll end up backtracking on as much as feasible, unless the entirety of the OldCOM crowd is less appealing than splitting the NewCOM crowd between themselves, NuCOM2, and Phoenix Point.

Which, knowing old fandoms, is entirely possible I guess.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 10:52:42 pm »

Well, played around with it a bit this evening. Still very barebones, but I got a sense of it at least.

The single base is...kinda meh. Not really sure what it is getting them, other then the ability to have named characters reside there for cutscenes and such I guess. You still make hangers around the world for radar coverage and aircraft hangers, so I'd prefer to have the OG xcom way of making various bases around the world for different purposes. But it's not actively bad or anything.

Air combat is very simple right now. Just...forward, backwards, and fire a weapon. I hope they improve on it, because it's really not any better than Nucom's air combat.

Actual combat was fun. Got to do a few terror missions against the Psyon enemies or whatever they're called. (Basically sectoids). Didn't seem to have any sort of suppression in place, though, which was disappointing. Not sure if it exists but doesn't have any feedback yet, won't exist, or just isn't implemented yet.
Come play Mafia with us!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2019, 11:05:35 pm »

You should definitely make a post on their forums regarding your thoughts, they seem to be receptive to feedback at the very least. I agree that the single base is a weird choice, but I'm glad they at least went back on it being laid out like the NuCOM base.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 11:25:24 pm »

It's still like the NuCom base, at least at the moment.
Come play Mafia with us!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2019, 08:48:33 am »

I love nucom which is actually my main problem.  I dont think xenonauts is as good as xcom 1, but its good, and its the only option for q "true" modern xcom.  If they go more nucom, well...  why?  If I want to play nucom ill play nucom.

Would be disappointing if they abandoned their niche to become an inferior version of two different games
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2019, 08:51:40 am »

I'm a lot more upset by there being only one base than the base being in ant-farm shape. Is this true?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 [2] 3